Are Reef Octopus skimmers any good?

HaNs

They are budget skimmers, pretty average as you have to mod them to get them working better,

Like anything you pay for what you get.

If you get one make sure it is about twice the size recommended as they really overrate the skimmer capacity,

:shall i chime in here:? well, why not.

I own a HOB style RO, it is rubbish, no better than the crap via-aqua one i replaced.

I have modified this skimmer, its better than before but in my book going from worse than useless to useless is not a great thing.

I have not had any first hand experience with the in sump models, most of which look well made, in fact i would say the build looks better than the price would allow.

I agree with those that say get the best skimmer you can afford, remember to keep in mind this dose not mean the best RO skimmer you can afford but the best skimmer on the market for the money you want to spend.

Pick a few skimmers in your price range a get some feed back from OWNERS who are not going to financially benefit from you buying that skimmer. People with real world experience are priceless in this decision.

How much do you have to spend on your skimmer? this is an important question and i hope you don't mind me asking it, but it will assist those here to make suggestions on possible models to suit your needs, we will also need to know what size tank it will be on and a general over view of the plan for the tank.

:

How much do you have to spend on your skimmer? this is an important question and i hope you don't mind me asking it, but it will assist those here to make suggestions on possible models to suit your needs, we will also need to know what size tank it will be on and a general over view of the plan for the tank.

Im not quite ready for a marine tank yet. I was just finding out about the band and quality wise.

Will have around 4-$500ish

cool, its good to have a plan, unlike me when i set up, i thought about 1k should do the trick, needless to say that was way off.

$500 could buy you a good deltec second hand on trade me, i recommend keeping a look out.

So are you regreting the swap from deltec to reef octopus then ?

No not really, because for the same price as the deltec i got alot of other goodies.

I may not be getting enough flow to my skimmer from the overflow feed.

Would i be happier with a deltec over a RO - yes