Mixing Frontosa and Demasoni?

janine456

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your opinion is about mixing a breeding colony of 10 demasoni with my colony of 8 Frontosa? Too risky?

Been trying to sell my Fronts but no one is willing to pay how much they are worth so might just keep them but i need to move my demasoni.

Would love any opinions :)

Cheers

People will say the fronnies won't like the active fish. But they will chomp at them at night time. Especially if some are 20cmish. Fronnies are alert at night in the hunt for live food, even though they are lazy. In the wild they hunt Cyprichromis species. At night these little guys huge the rockwork etc, just like demasoni do at night.

I wouldn't do it.

Frenchy :D

things are only worth what people will pay for them. if there are only 5 interested buyers & the highest bidder will only pay $40 each then the market is telling you what they are really worth.

maybe the shops can get away with charging huge prices because they wait for someone who is willing to pay big $ for em, you will have to do the same to get high prices.

Yeah its all about supply and demand and what you think something is worth isn't always what it is actually worth..

The only way to find out what anythings worth is to $1reserve it but you might get alot less than what you hoped for them. And fronts are becoming more common and with all the colonies around the place they will only become more common.

Anyway Janine good luck with the sale they look like nice fish!

I think I read the same question about fronts and demasoni on cichlid-forum and the answer was the same you could use the search on there if you wanted to find it.

Yeah Fronts in a few shops now but not exactly walking out the doors at $110.00. The next lot wil be cheaper though and so on.

Something comes in new so you get it at top dollar, so you can breed it and sell the babies with everyone else for nix.

Remind me again why we do it?

The only way to find out what anythings worth is to $1reserve it but you might get alot less than what you hoped for them.

Its not really a good indication of what something is worth, more just how many people happen to find it on TradeMe and feel like going nuts. We dabble in TM at work, one week we put a plant up for $1res (usual retail would have been $15-20) and it went for $75, the following week we put up a slightly bigger and better one and it went for $16. Its pretty random really.

I agree about the supply vs demand thing. I think the pet shop prices for frontosa are crazy high, but I guess if there's people willing to pay it then it'll stay there, and if not it'll come down.

The standard fronnie here from a breeder at 3cm is $15-20. Therefore shops are around $30-40. They are well established here. Just an idea where they may level out at.

Fronnie species are now a legal import, been about a year or so as a guess. They haven't affected the prices to much yet on the old species.

As an example, online here, I can buy 4 fronnies, 8-15cm for $150

Frenchy :D