Lighting Ideas

Matt

Hi everyone,

After almost 3 years I have finally finished making the cabinet for my 100 x 50 x 50cm tank and am currently setting it up. I'm almost ready to start filling it and adding the plants but I thought I would check to see whether anyone had any ideas for a cheap lighting setup, rather than going the Arcadia controller and overpriced pet shop bulb way. I am planning on having this tank heavily planted in the back with a covering of foreground plants in the front. The tank has undergravel heating as well as laterite, Palmers Aquatic Fertiliser and Dupla Plant Fertiliser under the gravel. I will also be incorprating Co2 injection. Pics of my tank in progress here: http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/LargeHomeTank.html

I am planning on making a hood and was thinking of incorporating 3 tubes (maybe 4) into it. I also want to have stage the lighting of the tubes i.e. one first, the other two 15 minutes later etc.

Also I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for soaking plants in to completely remove snails. I am planning on transfering the plants from my old snail infested tank http://www.geocities.com/i_lovebeer/SmallHomeTank.html snail free if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

Matt

Lighting. For a tank that you want heavly planted and useing c02 etc, the more light you can use the better. My tank is 450 front to back and I have 4x 4ft tubes and 1x 3ft (bow fronted won't allow another 4ft).

I reccomend that you use as many tubes as possible. I would say no less than 4, but you should be able to fit 6 over that tank.

Bulb selection is as important as anything else, and I STRONGLY reccomend buying the tubes from an electrical whoesaler and not the pet shop. As for tubes in the 6000 - 6500 kelvin range, they will know exactly what this means. This will give you the best results for plants, and look the most natural.

As for what to use, I agree the Arcadia units are well overrpiced. I would just use something you can wire up yourself or buy pre-made untis from somewhere like www.sog.co.nz.

Also reflectors make a big difference, so get these too.

I have personally been using this system for quite some time and its works perfectly. Infact I have had to remove the many plants as I got sick of pruning them twice a week.

Good luck and would love to see some pics.

Pies

Go for the Philips or Sylvania TLD96 range. They are 5 phosphour 6500K daylight tubes. You get excellent colour rendering of the plants and fish and super-fast plant growth.

See if you can get them at trade (use a mate in the electrical trade if you can). You should only pay about $13-14 +GST per tube. These are equivalent, if not better than the best LFS tubes at $65+

Hi Warren and Pies,

Thanks very much for replying. I'm lucky enough to have a sister that works for Laser Electrical so I have asked her to source the bulbs for me at trade. Now all I have to do is rob a bank so that I can finish filling my Fluval 404 with ceramic noodles etc. :D

Cheers,

Matt