Need some help with Contolling temperatur in my tank

aae1

Hi All. have finally got my 8ft tank up and running. Im running twin 200litre sumps with a 300w heater in each however Im having a problem with getting the temperature right. Anybody able to supply suggestions. thanks

Whats the temp and how much is at varying by?

Sounds like you have enough heater, and the pumps/sumps should ensure enough water flowing over them. If it's varying by 1 deg between day and night it's probably not an issue.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian. thats what I thought but its not working out like that. Both thermostats have been set at 26 degrees however the water temp in the main tank is up to 29 degrees. Heaters seem to be on all the time. Temp started at 22 degrees on Saturday evening (when it was first filled) and has cntinued to rise.

Heaters in big tanks take ages to setup I struggled with getting the temp stable in mine.. And its only 540litres! Id suggest just bumping one or both down a bit and seeing what happens, I usually make sure the tanks at the temp I want and then adjust the heaters so they've just turned off and sometimes that works...

On another note is the 8ft tank the one that Glenn was building the stand for?

OK... first off.

The temp numbers on the heater scales may be off by several degrees. This gets agravated because you have powerfull heaters and good water flow, so the tank is heated more efficiently than normal.

Look at the heaters and see if one is switched on more than the other, if so, wind that one down first. If you cant tell, wind them both down 3-4 deg, wait a day and see what happens.

Part of the problem is that big tanks take a long time to heat and cool, so you have to adjust, wait a day, maybe adjust again untill it correct. Might take a few days to get it right, but thats the best way.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian. I think your right with your thoughts. Ive just done some tests on another 1 of my tanks and have found the dials of the new heaters are quite a lot out. Ive turned them down and will wait and see. Thanks for your input.

Not sure if this will help or not but.....

I was told ..and it seems to work for me ...that you should set your heaters at different temps anyway( i think to prolong life and reduces risk of failure) and that when you run a pump in a sump (kinda like a cat in a hat on a mat) that the pumps can push the heat in the sump up quite a lot.

So is short you need to fiddle with the settings to adjust for this and ambiant (sp?)temp. Oh and remeber to lay your heaters on an angle to maximise surface area and also stop cold/heat effecting the function

hth

Navarre