Discus Breeding Advice Needed

Matt

Hi All,

Some good news! :D I have a pair of Marlboro Orange Discus that have been breeding in my community tank every week but the babies were being eaten as soon as they became free swimming. They laid again last Wednesday and the fry were due to become free swimming on Tuesday, so I bought a couple of second hand breeding tanks (thanks Bryan :hail: ) on the weekend and set one up on Monday night with a couple of pre cycled sponge filters and water from the community tank. I transferred both parents first and then syphoned the fry and put them in the tank, I was worried they would be eaten but to my surprise both parents started collecting them and placing them on the glass - with a little help from me.

Most of the fry are now feeding off the sides of the parents apart from a few hanging out at the surface. I initially had a couple of terracota pots in the tank which I have now removed, I have covered the sponge filters in white filter wool, added a bag of Aragonite and am feeding the parents on Spirulina Flake twice a day and doing a 15% water change at night and syphoning out any waste. I have a light on 24 hours and the temp is 30c. I am planning on hatching some BBS on Saturday so that it is ready to start feeding on Sunday. I also have some Liquifry food which I haven't used yet.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or have missed? Any advice appreciated.

Pics below:

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

Sounds ok. Start feeding BBS as soon as possible they can decide when they start eating it and if you do run into problems they would already be use to it.

Just keep the water clean. You don't need to keep the light on 24/7. I had my Cobalt breed in my com tank so took the Tetras out but left the cory's in and every one was really impressed when they came over to visit and saw the fish eating from the sides. I think that breeding Discus must be close to the top achievements of keeping fresh water fish well done. Next is the hard part, can you bring yourself to sell your babies. Feeding them Tetra bits is also a good option and when time comes just crush this up and the fry will clean it up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Help needed please! :hail:

Discus have now been free swimming for two weeks, I have been doing twice daily 50-70% water changes, rinsing one of my two sponge filters each day and scrubbing the walls and bottom with a scrubbing brush every few days plus feeding Baby Brine Shrimp, finely chopped Discus Tucker and crushed Colourbits morning, lunch and night.

I am starting to lose 1-2 babies a day. They sit on the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily and then I find them dead in the morning. I have lost five so far with another sitting on the tank floor this morning.

Does this sound like gill flukes or some other problem? Please advise on treatment required. It only affects one baby at a time.

I haven't been that careful with the Brine Shrimp and a few eggs have ended up in the tank on a few occassions. I have some Droncit tabs being sent to me which should arrive today and I also have half a bottle of Masterpet Cure Ex on hand. I can get some Liquid Prazi but not until after this weekend.

Updated pics attached:

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Discus babies are now 5 weeks old and growing well, I have about 45 left around 2cm. They are getting twice daily water changes of 50-70% each time. I removed the parents a couple of weeks ago as the mother was leaping out of the water to attack my hand whenever I tried to clean the tank :o . I will be moving them to a bigger tank shortly.

Thanks to a couple of people on this forum for the Praziquantel to clear up the gill flukes :hail: .

Pics attached:

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Cheers,

Matt