discus tank algae problem

dannybanks

ahhh please help my community tank its starting to become overcome by all sorts of algae on the plants the wood and glass i have a pleco and a siamese algae eater but they attackd my other discus witch eventually caused it to decide to die any ideas there are two bristle noses in there but are babies will get more soon tho

Firstly welcome to FNZAS!!!!!

While it is right to add more fish to eat the algae (Bristlenoses, Oto's etc) you also need to look at what is causing the algae in the first place- Lighting periods, stocking density, filtration etc- to work out what is causing the Algae- otherwise you will be forever fighting it!

A bit of background information would help dannybanks. How long has the tank been set up? What size is it? What kind of filtration? How many, and what, fish? What sort of lighting and how long are the lights on? We also need to know what sort of algae you have which is where a pic would help.

the tank is a 180 litre jebo corner tank, the filter is just the standard inbuilt filter in the lid of the tank ,the lights are on from when i get up ant 7:30-10 at night the fish that are in there are

1xmalboro red discus

2 cory

2 bristlenose

3 neons

5 glowlights

1 x-ray tetra

2 head and tail tetra

5 cherry barbs

1 female krib

1 dwarf honey gourami

3 clown loaches

the tank has been set up for over 4 months now will put photos up soon cheers

That only works on some types of algae. I think you have your lights on for too long. 10 - 12 hours is plenty.

You have an odd mix of fish there that won't be shown to their full potential as most are shoaling fish but you do not have enough of each. If it was me, I would swap the single x-ray tetra and the 2 head and tails for more cherrys or glowlights, and get more neons or swap for others. Shoaling fish stand out more and show their colours when in a large group (minimum 6 but preferably 12 or more if there is room).

The clown loaches will outgrow that tank eventually.

i did originally have 6 of each schooling fish but my mystis catfish found they tasted good i think it is beard algae and brush algae i will be getting more schooling fish when i save enough money am trying 2 get more plants at the moment so they will have to wait bye the time the clown loaches are to big for the tank they would have been put in a bigger tank

The plecos should help get rid of the algae, especially the stuff that grows on the glass, but if they are only small it will take them a while. I put a small goldspot in my 3ft tank that was under a window and pretty green. Took it a month to get it reasonably clean.

If there is plenty of algae dont overfeed the plecos with wafers and veges, if they are little hungry they will hog out on the algae and clean it up much faster. Once they have it under control (or you have reduced it with other methods) then you have to start feeding them a bit more.

Cheers

Ian