marine tank advice

arly

Yup...the best places to go for marine stuff in chch would be Petworld, Organism and Redwood... I got my marine setup for around $600... got it 2nd hand.... just to start learning... it is only a small 3 ft tank.... i think it is better to start learning at a smaller scale...rather than spending $5000 on your first marine tank...and learning from that....would be very expensive....

$600 for a marine tank??

I think my plumbing cost more than that.

my view is if you cant afford it , don’t try to attempt the marine hobby as I cant see the point of experimenting on the coral/fish as they are delicate and most reefs are already being destroyed by the yanks as they get everything so cheap and just replace the stock when they die.

My personal costs..... tank $750 steep i know but a new crnr bowfront!

stand $800.. custom jobby,lighting $1100 and i shopped around,skimmer a NECCESITY $1200, test kits $160 minimum, pumps to run the shebang $500, sand$60, chiller a luxury $1200, heaters $120,live rock $$$$$$$, corals & fish $$$$$$ there are lots of little bits & bobs you need but some things you MUST have ....a damn good skimmer is one. Live rock works as a filter way better than a trickle filter, i,m sure you culd buy a lot of s/h stuff but it's still a pricey hobby. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree its expensive if you want to keep inverts, but fish only is about 2/3 cheapers.

Its an awesome hobby, but if you can't afford it don't do it. You may loose everything you put into it. I am not rich, but when I decided to 'take the plunge' I did some because I wanted a successful tank. I have yet to prucahse something I haven't needed, I am avoiding gimicks etc.

I have been extremely lucky as I've met a few people who have been very generous with there time and helped me source a lot of stuff cheaper than if I was paying full retail. But even then it is expesnive. But if you can afford to do it, you should, its the best thing I have ever done. I like my reef so much I am in the middle of breaking down my freshwater, the reef is so much more satasifing.

I hate to talk about costs but this will give you an idea... I have purchased as much 2nd hand as I can, but have refused to skimp on anything. Most people I have spoken to, who have done things on a tight budget have found it a very unsussessful hobby, and they have wasted what money they have put into it.

COSTS APPROX:

1x Deltec Skimmer ($900)

2x 250 Watt Metal Halides (150 watt would have also been 'OK') $900

4x 5ft Tubes - I want for T5s here, better value for the long term $760

1x 700ltr Tank - DIY $550.

1x DIY Tank Stand $250

PLUMMING incl taps, returns, SCWDs etc $400

4x Pumps (1x return, 3x closed loops of circulation) $1000

Timers and extension cords etc $150

2x 300 Watt heaters $Free had them

1x 160ltr 3ft tank for sump $free had it

105kg+ Live rock $1050

Coral Sand $120

Testkits, Kalkwasser, Coral food, phos killer, etc $400+

RO & DI unit for freshwater top off $650

I have so far spent over $1500 on stock, and would no dobut spend more if I could find stuff, but anyone whos in Wellington knows there is nothing here.

I have photos of the tank for anyone interested and anyone in or around Wellington that wants to startup or advice I would help you if I can.