Ca Reactor vs Two Part vs Kalkwasser

Jettin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a 200L tank with 80L of sumps, which is going to be easier & cheaper.

Time is not a problem :/

And it will mainly be a soft coral tank..

Another thing that should have been said, softies don't need much calcium, if it's softies only just regular monthly water changes is all you need.

If you get some lps you may or may not need to dose, just see how it goes. If you get some sps, you will have to dose, if you want them to be at their full potential.

Cookie has mentioned about skewing of chemistry when using two part dosing schemes. Mainly the buildup of chloride ions.

Layton

Hello Iduncan, where in this subject did Cookie say that? I have searched but can only find this post. From your post where you qoute him it looks like there is some interesting reading. Is it on a previous subject, can you please post a link to it so I can read the complete post?

Thanks in advance

or how succesful they want to be in growing a reef and heaps of frags!

can't wait til your corals grow out of the tank again puttputt!! still waiting for layton to show us some growth pictures or any pictures really of his great tank. well yeah still waiting (been over two years now at least :roll: ) must be a real bummer puttputt throwing those corals out when you moved because they just grew everywhere and you just had way to many frags. well i put it down to you running this crappy thing, which is just useless and hard to work. what was it called again? oh yeah i have got one too - a calcium reactor. few thousand frags over the last couple years now and the damn thing is still working. :evil: :D:D:D

Also Layton, on the positive side, how is that peristaltic pump coming along?

Electrically and software wise it's complete. I've just got a quote back from a manufacture for the housing today. That seems to be the most time consuming part to sort out. Been through a few design iterations to minimise tooling costs, plus they have long lead times etc.

Just wondered what will be the literage, is it adjustable and if so what is the minimum and maximum, and what is the head pressure?

From 0.5mL/min variable up to a max of 5mL/min, prime from up to 1 meter below pump, vertical pumping head approx 6 meters.

What is your primary envisaged application for it? With all these budding young 2 part dosers coming along :lol: , there could be a market for it.

Initially aquarium uses (easy to sell into). Precision liquid metering, hydroponic dosing etc. But there are also other application which the control part can be adapted to.

Also, a peristaltic pump has been a huge asset to my calcium reactor I am trying to talk everyone else into getting one. (peristaltic pump that is! :lol: )

I've got a bunch of oem peristaltic pumps arriving soon.

Layton

5 mls a minute is probably not enough to run a calcium reactor for most people. However it will be good for 2 part.

What are these OEM pumps, and how much $$$?

Also why are you bringing them in when you just on the cusp of releasing your own product?

5 mls a minute is probably not enough to run a calcium reactor for most people. However it will be good for 2 part.

There is another option for higher flow rate pump which would give up to 40mL/min But the 5mL one is ideally suited to dosing.

What are these OEM pumps, and how much $$$?

Surprisingly expensive. But they are quality Japanese made pumps. They are original equipment manufacturer (oem) pumps (designed for other companies to incorporate into their own products), they're not a plug and play unit.

Also why are you bringing them in when you just on the cusp of releasing your own product?
I'm bringing them in because they are a component in my product. They are just the pump module, not a product in themselves. More or less useless without some sort of power control circuitry.

Layton

"Ok, problem, such a slow drip rate via gravity is very very inconsistant"

Well don't listen to me, learn the hard way! :lol:

No worries no need to rush into a dosing pump or reactor yet. You can still use your existing drip equipment, just speed up the drip rate and dose a measured amount of each on alternate 4 days. IE dose one part, then the other part 2 days later. Drip into a high flow area.

It might seem a hassle, but finding out how much dosing pumps cost may help convince you! :o :lol:

BTW you don't test daily, for the first week or 2 test a couple of times per week, then when you got a good idea how much you should dose, test weekly or fortnightly.

Also, providing you are dosing in balance, one shortcut is to just test alkalinity weekly, and providing it is stable, just test calcium monthly. That's what I do, but to do that wait a while till you got a bit of experience and a feel for how things are going.

• 4 weeks later...

Well to be honest ive been really busy lately and havent had time to dose or test.

After we discussed this, i was just doing the 2 part as the tank didnt seem to suck up that much Ca or Kh.

Time to have a test.......... will report back.