Setting up a nano.

yarimochi

I think I have my plan. I will run a protein skimmer (Ill find the best one at the time, or if anyone could give any suggesttions for a great quality model for 30l) and ill run a small filter that will take the solid waste out of the tank. Ill also run a powerful light enough for the clam if the clam is suitable for my tank? What model heater would be good?

The fish/invertebrates i want are:

2x percula clown

1x bangaii cardinal

1x royal gramma

1x firefish

1x pink coral shrimp

1x cleaner shrimp

1x starfish

1x clam (not sure what type, sugestions?)

Coral:

1x Torch coral

1x sun polyps

1x bubble coral

1x zoanthids

1x mushroom

1x pompom xenia

What does everyone think about this? Are these good combinations? I got all of these things off nano-reef.com and they call these organisms: "nano reef safe".

Thanks very much

It's probably too much fish for a 30 liter tank in terms of the waste they will make, plus they will probably be incompatable in a tank that size, the dottyback will probably kill the firefish, and maybe the shrimp, plus there will be problems between the clowns and the dottyback as there is not enough room for each to have enough territory. I use the word "probably" several times because it can vary from one fish to another.

Any of those fish can live in a tank your size, but not all at the same time.

The torch coral and the bubble coral will both sting other corals, and especially the bubble coral has quite a long reach would not be a good idea for a 30 litre tank if you plan to keep other corals. The other corals you mention are OK though. The sun coral needs to be hand fed with tweezers, preferably at night. There are other ways to feed a sun coral but too messy in a small tank.

When you say dottyback, do you mean the banggai cardianal? or the royal gramma? I love them both but if it means having a healthy tank i can go without... :cry: Would a clam be ok in a tank like that or would i have to pass it on to someone else if it gets to big? How do you feed clams?

Im not sure right now... Im going to japan in december for 2 months and im not sure i want my parents to have the responsibility of taking care of some very expensive fish and coral... I have a 100l tank with freshies at the mo' so i think ill convert that tank after my holiday. Could an anemone be kept in a tank like that? It opens up my fish options a bit.

Yes, not a good plan to start now if you are going in December for 2 months. It is very difficult for other people to look after a marine tank for that long especially if something goes wrong.

An anemone will be OK in a 100 litre tank but best a smaller species such as a bubbletip. These will host clownfish also.