halogen lights

jamestothemax

hey im looking at setting up a large paludarium for tropical fish and newts and am wanting to get some decent power lighting for plants above and below the water.

I have found some light fittings that are standard 150W metal halide units like used it shop fit outs but are apparently running 200W qaurtz halogen bulbs. I couldnt get a K rating off the seller.

but yeah wondering if these bulbs would be ok or is there a problem with halogens? I would plan on eventually changing to proper K level metal halide bulbs but yeah these seem like a pretty good deal so keen to pick them up to get the system going and can always change the bulbs when i have a bit more cash.

also how many do you think i should run on a 1500x500x500mm tank with about 200mm deep water and how high from the top of the tank should they be mounted? itll most likely be sword plants and crypts in the water with some sort of decent ground cover plants. havent decided on above water plants yet but would like to have a lot of moss covering the landscaping

cheers guys

cool thanks guys. what would be a decent price for 150W Metal Halide bulbs then?

Trademe is the best iv found. $80ish. Local electrical wholesaler cant get bulbs over 3000k.

Im doing a order for 4 bulbs that are 150w of the person on trademe so they are doing a better price. You and other could jump in and we could get better prices.

Also try the petshops, they can get them in but at what price?