GOLD BATIK EEL

hevalump

I am after some info on a gold batik eel, have done numerous searches on the web but it doesnt come back with any thing :x I think that this eel might have other common names, and being a new tropical person i dont know the latin name ... any help would be appreciated.

hmm, looked up the Myrichthys ocellatus but its a different eel. Thats what confuses me, i know the eel is real but i cant find anything one them. It would help if i knew his latin name. :-? Migh give hollywood fish farm and get the latin name off them. Wish me luck :D

Sounds like you'll need the scientific name instead of the one that the wholesaler probably pulled out of his as...err, out of the air. Though, is there any type of eel that has a variation of "Batik" in its name? That could narrow it down.

Hmmm, the only thing I've come up with is that the printed loach is also called the Batik Loach. So, I suspect Batik is printed in another language. Tropical Blue's website was one of the results though.:) Not helpful, unfortunately. So, looks like the name is more of a descriptive than useful. Basically means, a Gold eel with spots and stripes.

ha ha ha ha..... well to be honest, my partner and i have already brought this eel, hes just not at home yet (on hold in the pet shop) and i thought i was a stupid idiot for buying a fish (umm.. eel) i dont know much about. The Hollywood fish farm has them (thats where "eddie" our eel is waiting) so maybe i should interrogate them when we go pick the eel up.

:oops:

Without a picture it's a little difficult but is this a bit closer to what you've got? You may want to check out some of the other Mastacembelus species to see if they're a closer match.

I was going back through the previous posts in this thread and saw that you'd put a basic discription about gold with stripes, you may want to do a search for Macrognathus aral

apparently topicalblue can get them in

did a bit of a search around the net, google groups returned a few comments about trying to ID them - apparently they are a newly discovered species which is why we have heard nothing about them

i rekon tropical blue would have some idea.

and i quote:

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?q=%22gold+batik+eel%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=77piec%24pg3%241%40newsource.ihug.co.nz&rnum=1 which was probably one of us anyway...

I have had one of these guys in my tank for around a year and a half now....... he is definitely my favourite fish, so active and has heaps of personality......... the only downside he keeps eating my swordtails :(

my friends either love him or hate him (most of them are fully grossed out by him) but they pretty much ignore my discuss and just look at him!