idea/comments, ins & outs

shadowfax

rockpool stuff is easy peasy. Because of the nature of rockpools, the critters that live in the intertidal zone are extremely hardy, tolerant of wide ranges in temperature and salinity. Away from the coast water changes would be accomplished the same way as with any other marine tank (with fake seawater) -- or alternatively keep a supply of extra water for changes. Basic equipment will keep the animals happy (at the least a filter of some sort. I used undergravel). They like lots of water movement. In warmer parts of the country you'd need a chiller in summer.

The only problem I had with mine was keeping it cool enough in summer. Above 15C and a lot of stuff dies. They can take high temps for short periods ony.

I never did water changes, just topped up with sea water occasionally as water level dropped due to evaporation.

I would say water changes would be important. Rock pools are static for a good part of each day, but have a full water change every time the waves break at high tide! Good thing with rockpool stuff, too, is that its all free and interchangeable every time you make a trip to the beach. Just watch things like crabs, can be nasty towards other animals (or do what i did, and have more than one tank!)

I never did water changes, just topped up with sea water occasionally as water level dropped due to evaporation.

also, the salt doesn't evaporate with the water, so topping up with seawater just keeps increasing the salinity till you have a miniature Dead Sea in your tank. Top up with freshwater to compensate for evaporation.

I discovered that (about the freshwater) later. My critters weren't able to walk on water or float Dead Sea style anyway :lol:

Lots of them were reproducing though and I had the tank for a couple of years. It was the constant high temps that made us give it up. I have since bought a chiller but not got around to setting up a rockpool again. Might do so next summer when it is warmer to go collecting.

Hey shadowfax, i looked into starting a Native saltwater rockpool tank.

(People Correct me where i make errors)

You basically need to keep it as cool as you can. A chiller would be the best (and most expensive) choice. You may get away with having it inside in the winter in a cool room, or you could keep it outside or garage. Some people also have Big bottles of frozen water that they replace each day. Sometimes when my tropical tanks get too hot i put a fan facing into the water which changes the temp quite a bit.

And when your water evaporates, make sure you only replace it with freshwater or else, like coelacanth said, ull end up with the dead sea. You should try keep a big barrel full of saltwater outside with a pump running through it to save you travelling to the beach each time you want to do a water change. But you will probably want to do water changes quite often. and im pretty sure that the Natural Saltwater and sand taken straight from the beach will have little critters or micro-organisms (whatever you wanna call them - dont know proper term) for your fish or what ever you are keeping, to live on.

This link here might give you some help too http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/keeping-nz-fish-vt20000.html

All IMO so feel free to tell me where im wrong

Also in regards to keeping the tank cold, would running a sump under your house keep the tank cool enough? Of course this would only work if you could get under your house. I just know its freezing down there becuase i have an escape hatch in my wardrobe :P

I got glass shrimp from Raglan to feed my copper band fish. 4 of them were to big for it to eat about 6 months ago.

Now they live happily in my tropical marine tank which gets as high as 28 degrees. Thats 14 degrees above their normal environment.

I got glass shrimp from Raglan to feed my copper band fish. 4 of them were to big for it to eat about 6 months ago.

Now they live happily in my tropical marine tank which gets as high as 28 degrees. Thats 14 degrees above their normal environment.

what are they like do you have any pics