What is this Melanochromis?

MarkLB

Hi Guys,

Look I must apologise and get down off my hi horse.

The fish I have I am sure are interupus.

I hope I didnt upset anyone and I am happy to post pics if I can get one/ post it etc.

I m not that flash with all this techno mumbojumbo.

I am happy to show anyone in CHCH the fish I have and we can go from there.

My point is tho that gawd knows what fish are really out there with shops changing the names to get them in and importers sending fish in by species rather than varients

All in all a healthy discusion.

Thanks

Navarre

First off I want to thank you all for your comments.

While I may not be certain as to what the fish are, I can be certain they are not Johanni.

I have taken everyones opinions and observations on board and will eventually come to some sort of a conclusion.

I hope that this thread has not caused any animosity among some of the contributers. I'm sure that no one meant to cause offence. I have used this forum to get opinions and advice many times and the differing veiws/answers that I have recieved is what makes the forum so useful to me. We can all learn from others experiences.

Again, thanks to all.

Hi all,

Caryl I would be happy for you to call in but I will be away this weekend at rugby on Sat and a 50th weding anaversary on Sunday (..go figure he coulda been out of prison by now) but i will try to call and see you next time I am up your way and you are more than welcome next time you are down but please give me some warning so I can make sure tanks are clean...lol

Navarre

As far as I'm concerned, if a fish is wrongly named in an LFS and you can not definitely ID it it then just becomes a fish and should be treated as that.

As other contributers have said, M interruptus are extremely rare, and what makes any one think that they are one of the fortunate few to have one, little own in NZ..

How good are the smugglers there? I mean if none have come in on the import lists. How good are the back doors?

While I may not be certain as to what the fish are, I can be certain they are not Johanni.

I have taken everyones opinions and observations on board and will eventually come to some sort of a conclusion.

Let us know what you come up with, I will be interested. What are you thinking if you don't mind me asking?

Navarre, did you happen to buy your fish from a certain breeder who called his electric blues Ahli? A well respected breeder of many years who is/was based in ChCh? It is common here for people to call dodgy johanni interruptus, as of the different barring. The last pic is an example.

To me it is the female that gives it away, compare to...

M-1.jpg

This is an example of what poor johanni's look like. Just so people can be aware of what not to buy.

Picture066.jpg

Frenchy :D