In the event of an emergency ...

fishychick

Greetings from the deep south - we're in the middle of a fairly nasty blizzard at the moment, and have had a power cut this afternoon. Power was off for about 2 hours. What is the recommended procedure for keeping the poor darlings in the tank warm?

We seem to have escaped any damage, but if the power was off for longer ... ??? Would love to hear your thoughts.

We only have 1 small tank - not sure that I can justify a generator (altho the fish may disagree! :o ). Tank is located in a hallway with no heating - it's been like antarctica these last few days. It was the only place I could put the tank where it is out of direct sunlight but maybe I should have worried less about the sunlight and more about an even temperature?

algae growth does not necessarily mean fish death.

Just that the algae will obscure your view in seeing the fish :lol:

I have 2 wcmm tanks on a window sill that has sun on it all day (well, when the sun shines :lol: ) and it is heavily planted with Indian fern and ambulia.

These tanks do not have a problem with green water or algae

algae growth does not necessarily mean fish death.

Just that the algae will obscure your view in seeing the fish :lol:

I have 2 wcmm tanks on a window sill that has sun on it all day (well, when the sun shines :lol: ) and it is heavily planted with Indian fern and ambulia.

These tanks do not have a problem with green water or algae

i think that wuld be the case cause the plants you have would obsorb the nutrients required for the algae to grow?

Hi there, I have one of my tanks in sunlight for several hours of each day. It got quite covered in algae, despite algae eaters (not very good eaters of algae), but I put in three juvenile bristlenoses and in about ten days it was hard to see any algae at all. Might be an option if you end up shifting the tank. Hope things are warming up down there today...

Cheers, Sam

I am new to bristlenoses, having used algae eaters before and plecostamuses, but would recommend bristlenoses. Algae eaters seem to stop eating algae as they get older, and will chase other fish. And pleco's get huge - one of mine grew to more than twelve inches.

My largest bristlenose is a mature male, my others are his children. My Dad bristlenose is about ten centremetres long, and I believe this is full size. Others on this forum would be able to tell you if that is too big for your set up. I'm not familiar enough with bristlenose's requirements yet. They are very cool fish though - yellow tips to fins and the bristles have to be seen to be believed.

Cheers,

Sam