Interested in Rams

Gatito

I am interested in keeping both blue and balloon rams, and maybe the gold and other varieties if I can find any information and the fish themselves. Am currently doing my research before looking for nice stock, as I would like to try my hand at breeding them once they’re established. If anyone could offer some advice or share some wisdom, that would be great. Also have my ear open for breeders with nice stock – unrelated pairings would be great.

Do they pair permanently, or just for each spawn? Depending on that answer, will keeping different varieties together risk hybrid spawns, or will they pair with their own and stick with them?

They’re gorgeous fish, my main interest is in husbandry for now, but would like the fish I get to be ideal for breeding if/when I go down that path.

Should I be getting a bunch of juveniles and waiting for them to pair up?

Thanks!! :wink:

f you are worried about hybrid relationships, then pray tell me.

Why are you getting the deformed models called Ballon???

And no, the males are typically males, and will flirt with who ever wants to flirt with him.

Awesome, thanks for that Alan, will do so once i'm all set to go :D

I can't find anything online about the balloon ram resulting from a deformity - can anyone direct me to some more information? Sounds interesting, and I had no idea!

I dont know the story but looking at them they resemble alot of the bred for deformaties in goldfish and other fish, someone got a munted baby out of a batch and decided they liked it and there was a market for it so they would breed for it I presume?

That's quite sad. I've seen "balloon rams" for sale and thought it was just another variety, but for people to be breeding for this and encouraging it isn't right IMO. I wish it was more well-known for those new to keeping them - i had no idea, only thought it was weird that they were quite similar to the blues :roll:

Looks like it's just blue rams for me then :) I liked them the best anyway :D