My Water Feature

petplanet

Right, started work on this water feature a long time ago but am finally getting the damn thing finished.

This what the area looked like when we first moved into the house Oct 05.

01waterfeature1005.jpg

Started working on the pond area March 06.

02waterfeature0306.jpg

03waterfeature0306.jpg

Breaking away side of old steps to make them wider.

04waterfeature0306.jpg

Made new concrete steps.

05waterfeature0406.jpg

Broke away concrete for a new garden area.

06waterfeature0406.jpg

Jump to May 07. Reboxed steps and built side wall of pond. This include rebuilding most of the stone wall in the background and building the new section down the side of the steps. Took a very long time for me to build.

07waterfeature0507.jpg

Had concrete poured June 07.

08waterfeature0607.jpg

Boxed up pond. All H4 timber.

09waterfeature0607.jpg

Laid river sand to help level the bottom and put carpet with underlay backing in the corners.

10waterfeature0607.jpg

Repeated with two large peices to cover the sides and bottom. Tacked in place with gib nails.

11waterfeature0607.jpg

Placed pond liner in and started filling.

12waterfeature0607.jpg

Trimmed liner and tacked on the outside of pond.

13waterfeature0607.jpg

14waterfeature0607.jpg

Built wood rim around the top.

15waterfeature0607.jpg

More to come....

• 2 weeks later...

More progress.

I went for a Pondmaster 5500 dirty water pump. Flow Rate 5700l/h Max Head 3.0m.

pondmasterdirtywaterpumps.jpg

The filter I went for was a Laguna 8000. WAY to big for this tiny feature. It is rated for ponds up to 8000 litres but I had it lying around since I sold my shop so couldn't let it go to waste.

16waterfeature0607.jpg

I drilled a hole through the wall so I could place the filter in the garage for easy access. This also eliminated the need for any outdoor wiring. It did mean there was 8 metres of hosing required to get from the feature to the filter and back. Four concrete blocks were used to get the feature to the right level.

18waterfeature0607.jpg

And the water feature itself. All polished stainless steel (been in the garage for 18 months).

19waterfeature0607.jpg

I drilled a hole through the bottom (melted the tip of one titanium drill bit and snapped another) and put in a Hansen fitting so that the hose could come up underneath the bottom tub rather than over the side of it.

20waterfeature0607.jpg

Tub in place.

21waterfeature0607.jpg

Quick water test.

22waterfeature0607.jpg

Feature in place and running.

23waterfeature0607.jpg

I used pieces of leftover pond liner to level the tub out. This took a lot of trial and error.

There was not enough flow for my liking so I hooked up an even bigger pump. Pondmaster MP7500 7600l/h Max Head 5.3m. Made the feature crank along but was to strong for the filter and caused water to slowly drip out of the seals. I have switched back to the other pump for now.

One major thing I did not take into account with this feature is the volume of water required to get water flowing over the entire edge of the centre wave and lower tub. The lower tub has about 3 metre of surface edge. To have 1mm of water flowing over the edge all the way around, you would need 4320 litres an hour going into the tub. At 1.5mm it is 6480 l/h.