Betta fry health problem

Michelle.g

I'm raising betta (siamese fighting fish) fry at the moment, they are around 3 months old. When they were younger several of the smallest fry would just sit on the bottom of the tank all the time, and some of these did not survive. The problem I have now is that some of the fry are small and not very strong looking and 3 of these have a bit of a "hunchback". :( Will this come right? Most of the fry seem healthy and I would like to see them all like this. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

I would grade the bettas by size and then raise them in seperate groups otherwise the smallest ones will not grow very fast and may become stunted. Some of my smallest betta fry died because the larger ones actually attacked them and/or tried to eat them (it was a very aggressive spawn!). If the hunchback is a spinal deformity then they won't grow out of it so I would cull them otherwise I'm not sure what that would be?

Mel :)

You will probably have to move the bigger ones out. In all spawns some fish grow faster than others then they take more than their share of food. Sometimes young fry develop swim bladder especially if they eat too much brine shrimp and tend to swim looking like a banana. Sometimes they grow out of it but mostly they have to be culled.