Can fish bruise?

imsweet

I know this sounds weird but thats what it looks like. A bruise, kind of under the jaw but not on the gill plates. (they say these things happen in 3's) It popped up overnight. Theyre due for a water change and filter clean. But nothing different. This fish is about 4yrs old, There are 4 large goldies in a 120ltr tank, with Large filter. They have been together since this one was 1" long. But only in this tank for 6-8wks. We upgraded from a 90ltr to give them more room. Thanks for looking.

ps: i have a fantail with strange white marks on the tail with a picture in the diseases section if you think you can help also.

2007_0607pic0001.jpg

That does look odd. They could do with an even bigger tank than that too by the way :wink:

It certainly looks like internal bleeding of some sort. Is there anything in the tank it could have bashed itself against, like a small hole in an ornament? I would expect scales to be missing though if that was the case. I have seen bleeding around the gill plates but never like this before. :-?

Thanks for that Caryl, on closer inspection he has 2 scales missing by the dorsal fin on one side. No sharp objects but could have got caught behind the filter i guess. what size tank do you recommend for them? It seems they just keep growing every time we get a bigger one for them. :-?

Goldfish are very messy and produce a lot of waste. I would have them in a 250L eventually.

Perhaps it got a fright and jammed itself behind, or under the filter uplift or something? Is it otherwise acting normally and eating well?