Which silicone for aquariums?

sub.z

I went into Mitre 10 and they said that none were for tanks

Hard to believe that they don't stock a suitable sealant.

The type you want is as above... or one by Rosfoc.. called RTV Silicone Sealant .... Professional for Glass and Ceramic use.

That would be ok for glueing rock together wont it?

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING... unless it said it was safe for aquarium use.

ANY decent hardware shop stocks it.

I am a glass merchant

Through the glass merchant supplies, there is not ONE silicone that is made food safe and that is what you are talking about. The tests needed to garentee food safe product cost thousands of dollars and the market is far too small to bother spending that amount of money on.

In saying that, silicone is not an adhesive (glue) but we use it for that as well without any problems

I use Dow Coring 580 clear and Dow Coring 480 black for my tanks and have had no problems.

The person behind the counter of the department stores has no "indepth" knowledge but has an overview on most things but still relies on packageing and suppliers back up for more indepth information

If glueing rocks together I would tend to read the lable and see what is OK from tiles and the like, glue them together then soak them for a few days changeing the waters a couple of times of if possible put in a fish to make sure that no leaching has occured

there can be no garentees but an educated guess would be that you will be OK

Most err on the side of caution.

the 480 black use to be used on mussel tanks (for live mussel eating stores) but as there is no testing done, I cant garentee it and there fore the sea food shops tanks cant be repaired.

I use that glue on 12 tanks If just sep up and feel very confident that all will be fine.

Simple thing is that untill tested, no-one can say yes for sure

your local glass merchant should stock it but if they done, have a look at "Glass Corps "site

www.glasscorp.co.nz

they import it

Its a matter of reading the back label and makeing sure that it will do what you want it to do then allowing enough time to cure 100%, normally 1 day per 1mm thickness of joint.

ie; 6mm joint will take around 6 days to cure fully under temps of +20cel

hope this helps a bit

I have always been of the understanding the most important thing for aquariums is that it does not contain mould killer, as some coloured silicones and grouts do to prevent discolouration.

Acid cure I believe is the thing to look for. Rinsing silicone is unlikely to do much as if anything is to be leach it will continue until the silcone is degraded.

I've always used fosroc RTV, it claims on the back to be ok for aquarium use and is only $14 for a caulking gun tube, have used it alot on my tanks never had a problem.

no the name is

Dow Corning 480 (black is the colour) and

Dow Coring 580 (Clear is the colour)

There will be others that use other brands but thats just what I use.

I like the black in colour as I think it looks neat in apparence whereas the clear can look a bit messy

sub.z just go to mitre10 and get sellys all clear and use that its fine. i did the same thing 3 odd years ago and its been under water the whole time and its still fine...... or contact inside oceans on here and he sells silicone for about $15 on trademe which will do the job fine........

I have worked with a professional tank maker and made quite a few tanks myself. The silicone we use is Silaflex RTV and it even says on the label that it's safe for aquarium use. Same as mentioned above by Pegasus.

Animates also sells stuff that is suitable for aquariums.. most likley a bit more expensive than going to mitre 10.. i was unsure about glass silicon so splashed out the extra $5 on the tube at animates and its worked a treat :)

Amazing that you ask...

Im making a rock feature for my tank and want to know what i use to glue them together and is ok for tanks

I went into Mitre 10 and they said that none were for tanks

Im confused, do i no use silicone?

Then you say:

I see inside oceans is selling some on trademe for $12.95

Prob go with that

. and you get all these answers from members that have made tanks .. some of them for decades... and told you the right stuff.. and where to get it.. but then you go to TM and pay that price... plus postage... for something you could get for under thirteen bucks....

Amazing :)

Bill.

No prob.... none whatsoever :)

Forums are here to ask questions.. and to get answers.. and it doesn't mean you "have" to use the suggestions given.... it just seemed strange that was all.

Good luck with your project :)

Bill.

Think this might be better in the DIY area...so have moved it there.

I got some on TM called Rhodorsil V2. Says it is a Transparent, Waterproof Silicone specifically formulated for Aquariums. Cost $14 plus postage.

(Not that I've used it - just got it in case of emergency)

Pegasus ... I wonder if SubZ made the same assumption as me - that no prices were mentioned and therefore it must be EXPENSIVE! :lol:

Bluetom said

I've always used fosroc RTV, it claims on the back to be ok for aquarium use and is only $14 for a caulking gun tube, have used it alot on my tanks never had a problem.

The price was mentioned, so add on the postage to the trademe cost.??????

Bluetom said

Quote:

The price was mentioned, so add on the postage to the trademe cost.??????

Ooops - Sorry (sneaks out with red face)