Shifting to brackish conditions in a native tank

alextret

I kept native schrimp in a species tank for about a year, and now it appears that some of them are egg-laden.

I'd be quite keen to try to breed them, which means that I need to switch to brackish conditions.

Any tips on how best to do it?

I'm thinking of keeping some sort of a vessel with water of the target salinity, and mixing it with normal water for water changes, changing the proportion gradually.

Also, I wonder if the adults are going to eat the young (if there will be any). Normally, they are quite docile, and happily coexist with two different types of daphnias.

Now, daphnias will have to go, of course - I do not think they like brackish water.

Easiest way, imo, would be to go to the pet shop, pick up some artificial sea salt and at least a hydrometer, better a refractometer.

Then just siphon some water out of the tank into a bucket, toss in a handful of salt, mix it up and pour it back in. Repeat every day until you reach the right salinity.