Mood Betta

Janelle

My boyfriend is not really a fish person but he adores his new betta.

He says that his betta changes colour not just depending on the light but also on his mood! The happier we think he is the deeper his blues become and the less green he looks overall. He has a blue-green body and red fins with blue tips. Is this actually possible or are we just imagining things?

PS... We rarely catch him still. He's always zipping around his tank or hunting the gravel for food, then when he spots us he starts bashing himself against the glass to get our attention. What a strange fish! If they're all like this one, I want more!

Yeah, bettas have charachter :D I love 'em

They can change their appearance a bit - become duller/paler when frightened or trying to hide etc, brighter when showing off, but i don't think they would actually change colour? I think it's more likely that it's the amount of natural light changing that makes different colours show more.

I have a male that has dark blue, bright blue, purple, greenish and aqua, and i often can't see some of the colours, but when i get him under a decent display light i can see all of them - just depended on the time of day/amount of light/direction of light.

Hope that helps

Bettas can seem like they are different colurs depending on the light almost like a holograph?! I had a green female who could look a pinkish/red colour depending on how she had angled her body in the light.

But I do think their colours brighten when they are excited? If you put two next to each other you will notice the colours get brighter or darker as they flare. I had a little blue betta who was so excited every time I came near the glass, would follow my finger etc. Very cute!

Mel :)

That might have a bit to do with it. His colours actually seem to deepen the more attention we give him and the blue shows up more than the green.

We've only had him two weeks. His fins are still growing and repairing well and he is showing lots of spunk now he is in a large tank with good food and lots of attention. It's only been in about the last week we've really been able to notice his gorgeous colours, ever since his fins unclamped and really started to flow. =)