sodium metabisulphate

jayci

I need to sterlise my main tank. Just wondering if anyone knows if sodium meta will kill off my plants. There is no fish in the tank at the moment.

If I do put fish in the main tank they become very sick within 24hrs. Water parameters check out okay, so I think Sterlising is the main course at the moment and start over again. If I can leave the plants in with the sodium meta that would be good, kill off any germ that they maybe harbouring.

Or is there a better why to sterile a tank without killing the plants.

Not really... by definition 'sterile' is 'nothing living'

I would also look at the other items in the tank, gravel, wood, ornaments as one of them may be leaching a chemical into the water. I guess the problem is that you dont know if it's organic disease or an in-organic poison. Do the fish recover when you take them out of the tank? If thats the case I would look at something toxic being in the tank. If it was bacteria or parasite they would carry it to another tank.

Cheers

Ian

Do the fish recover when you take them out of the tank? If thats the case I would look at something toxic being in the tank. If it was bacteria or parasite they would carry it to another tank.

It could be that the tank has been assembled using NON-acetic silicon.