Figure Eight Pufferfish

Milet

What else can i feed my puffers? They dont like flakes. Ive nearly ran out of snails, and i dont buy bloodworms often.

Ive read somewhere that they'll eat some sorts of shellfish etc? Which ones? Cooked or fresh? And the puffers are only small...

My guys had to be painstakingly trained to eat shell on prawn chunks dangled from a string. Thankfully I didn't have to train them :hail: Their previous owner did. One of the three puffs is a freak of nature and happily takes pellets but the other two won't even look at a pellet, They are *far* too good for such inferior foods! i wonder how the little mini mussels from the beach would go as puffer tucker? Could be a good excuse to got to Sumner........

How bout half crabs that you find under stones in rockpools,live food,they wouldnt survive for long in a fresh water environment but I bet the puffers would love them. or cooked mussel?ive handfed saltwater puffers cooked mussels(Perna canaliculus) before and they loved it.

A few more questions about my puffers.

1. When people say they feed prawn chunks, mussels, crabs etc....Are they cooked, or fresh? Or does it not matter?

2. When I bought my puffers, the guys i bought it off said they had Adjusted it to fresh water a year ago, if i wanted to adjust it to a brackish tank, how would i go by this? Just chuck them in? I just read that they will thrive and live longer in brackish environment.

Thanks

fresh (frozen ) prawns etc.. try small crab legs (nice and crunchie) :D

Have you got a snail population yet ?? (crunchie is good :D )

introduce salt gradually over a few weeks at first ,

marine salt NOT tonic salt

Figure 8 s are low end brackish :D

imo :D

get a hydrometer to measure salt concentration. i would just put them in fresh water then add a bit of salt during weekly water changes (maybe a scoop every 10L or something for a few weeks until you have it where you want it)

• 1 month later...

lol, today puffdaddy(the bigger n fatter of the two F8's) took a step up from snails and bloodworms, and devoured a neon tetra the same size as him! I just got up and turned the lights on, and was watching them and within a flash, he had the neon in his mouth then swallowed it with one bite!

Just thought it was pretty kool considering they are the same length!

coolio don't depend on feeder fish though its good for them to get variety- you should see mine eating Danios... they might be fast but they definatley aren't smatr(danio's that is!) they swim above my puffer pretending he is a rock and then wham... bye bye danio