Ca and KH Levels and testing (mainly testing Quetion)

dogmatix

For higer KH levels (from my reactor, ie 35+ DKH) I've noticed that the reaction reverse's after a short amount amount of time so i prsume you add more ?

The same thing happened when i was testing the Ca out of my rector, but the 2nd to last time i tested it the drip feed was too slow so ca was low and the test used less titirant, this time around it was changing back every 30secs or so because the Ca is loser too 500 :D.

So my main Q is with higher Ca and KH lvls do you titrate untill the reaction stops fully over a longer period of time ?

THX

Ben

Not sure if you can do that, perhaps Reef would know?

What i've done is dilute the sample with RODI, for an expected kH of 35, say, 4 to 1, or similar, so the sample will be within the test kit range, then multiply the result accordingly to get what the pure result would be.

Actually to be more accurate my set up puts out a higher kH than that so I dilute more than that.

I dont have an issue how much reagent or titrant im using but rather more curious in when the TRUE end point is. :wink:

Whats the point of marrying a doctor if she cant do basic chem

:lol: (as she watches me type this). But talking to her i had a thought if i test a low KH sample ie 8 it stays there, but high samples 30+ tend to shift back in colour quite quickly. So maybe the tests arent at the true end point yet ?

The endpoint for the KH test is when the solution stays pink permanently.

High KH like from a reactor will do what you said, it might hover at the pink point then turn back to blue. It's done when it stays pink permanently.

Same with calcium, the endpoint is when the solution stays blue permanently.

Test like nitrate are different, they are time sensitive, and to get an accurate measure you need leave it and match colour at close the time specified by the test kit.