Freshwater stingrays

carla

i snorkeled over a ray at mimiwhangata bay in northland. it got more of a fright than i did & it took off clouding the water with the sand that it had buried itself under. the ensuing girl like squeal that came out of my snorkel was good entertainment for the others of my camping group that were standing on the rocks near by.

Crikey! that was a close one but wasn't she a real little beauty!

My mate keeps them here in Dublin,they are amazing to watch,many times we have sat there watching them until the end of the bottle....

I beleive you do have to be careful,dont know how true it is with the barb,he stirs the sand with a wee fork as he was told not to run his fingers through it in case he hits an old barb.

Motoros are quite common here,but go for about 180 euro,they are quite sensitive to water conditions,so for experienced keepers.I hope to get one as soon as I can get a tank large enough.

I have a friend in the US who has been stung by his, ended up having surgery and serious problems with the wound not healing because of something on the barb I think.

Yet another thing on my wish-list I'll never be able to keep.

Anyway, this thread is useless without pics!!!