Recomended tanksize for 1-2 elctric yellows.

Dixon1990

Hi we have a malawi electric yellow (think hes a male) in our large tank with green sevs, angels, a geo and some gouramies.But he is starting to get too agressive for the other fish. So i thought i would set up a smaller tank just for him and maybe another electric yellow, also if i do this i would be able to give him the right ph and temp etc for his species, WHat would the smallest tank that i could house him in with a female? Thanks

You could get away with a pair or 3 in a 2ft.. If you wanted you could just stick the single one in their would be a boring live but yeah you may get away with it :)

Probably better to get rid of him to someone who has a bigger african tank he can go into with more of his own kind to scrap with and hopefully get lucky..

i have 4 females and 1 male.. in a 6ft.. and other species too.. :) if you want to keep them, 2ft is alright as i keep some of my stock in them sometimes for a while..

But if you are keen on selling them etc I wont mind taking a few more.. The only reason i think he is aggressive is maybe he is in the "mood" :lol: But i have a lot of other malawians that probably settle his aggression down a bit hehe.. :wink:

They aren't to agro. My dom male used just want one cave and the surrounds of that. Every dom male I have had has been the same. They want to spot in the tank & the surrounds. So if you are outside that zone, they are quite nice to the others. Any that don't get the hint :roll: get hammered.

Therefore Ryan is right, 2 ft tank would mean the others would end up with the top far corner :lol:

Frenchy :D

They aren't to agro. My dom male used just want one cave and the surrounds of that. Every dom male I have had has been the same. They want to spot in the tank & the surrounds. So if you are outside that zone, they are quite nice to the others. Any that don't get the hint :roll: get hammered.

Therefore Ryan is right, 2 ft tank would mean the others would end up with the top far corner :lol:

Frenchy :D

so one dom male means party in the corner! :)

hmM now where would I put my 16 fryeri's in... 16 caves.. hahah

with a 6 footer shoudn't be a space problem :lol:

Actually my Peacock boys are far more argumentative in my Malawi display, the fryeri seem much more laid back.. it's actually rather laughable, I haven't seen my fryeri pack any punches at all, it all comes down to the D. comp and the Peacocks, and the fryeri just sit back and watch from afar :lol: