Split/crack in a full tank

becc4

I have just finished moving house and set up 4 of the 7 tanks. Have just noticed a crack in the front of one of the tanks. It is one third of the way up the front panel, on the edge. Its not leaking, and hasn't split further than the silicone seal. The tank size is approx. 100cmx50cmx40cm, 6mm glass. I have the tank setup with fish all happy. What are some quick fix preventative options (are there any?). I can not be totally sure that the split/crack wasn't there before because it was not in a position where I could scrutinize like now. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it .

The exterior surfaces of the corner are ok - no chips. It looks like a crack in just the front panel.

I know what I have to do, but was hoping that someone on here would give me a solution other than replacing panel......

:(

Hi Becc,

You have a couple of choices.

It might be possible to put a patch over the affected area.. say around 50mm square.

You can apply this either to the empty tank.. or to the full one.. and you do it from the "Inside".. not from the outside.

Clean the area of algae and film.

Get the square of glass.. apply a coating of silicone sealer around three mill thick.. then place in position and apply a little pressure until the silicone oozzes out from the patch.

Just leave it there and it will self cure.. either under water.. or out of it.

With the patch on the back glass.. you won't even notice it after a week or so of algae and plant growth.

If the crack (or whatever it is).. is on the front glass as you say.. then it may be possible to turn the tank around if the rear is unpainted.

Alternative two...

Strip the front glass out and replace it.

Take care now :)

Bill.

Get the square of glass.. apply a coating of silicone sealer around three mill thick.. then place in position and apply a little pressure until the silicone oozzes out from the patch.Bill.

if you just put one big bit of the glue in the centre of the patch and push, you will find you don't get any bubbles.

Good luck

WOO HOO!!! :bounce: thats just the information was I wanting to hear! Thanks Pegasus and Inside Ocean.

The tank has both back and front as 'show' sides, have got it like a divider between lounge and dining.

But as you say after the tank settles in, a patch wont be that noticeable.

Cheers everyone :D

Well made a bit of a hack of it. However the patch will do the job until I am better placed to strip the panel off and replace it. I put the patch on the exterior because I wasn't able to find any sealant that I could safely put int he water with the fish...it only has to look ugly for a month or so. Cheers again for the advice.

If you haven't used the correct sealant... ie:.. One suitable for Aquarium Use.... then the patch "may" not be adhered to the front glass correctly.

It "may" look to be sealed.. but apart from "sealing" the area.. it "may" need to flex slightly... depending on where the crack is located.

Once cured.. it could literally drop off the front of the glass.. as can happen if the sealer you have used goes hard and brittle.

It might be ok... but if you have used builders sealer.. or something even more nasty .. :)... I would keep a close watch on it.

Bill.

The reason the patch should have been on the inside of the tank is for the simple reason to stop the water if a leak starts.

Obviously, with the patch on the outside of the crack, the water can go through the crack and out the side of where it exits the glass.

Sorry.

I made the same mistake years ago, you only do it once.

And glue, silicon, that is used in aquariums, would have been ok to use, and use under water too, while the fish are insitu.

Just make sure that the patch can touch the glass on the edge where the crack runs from.

This is done by making sure that the gullet of glue, run up the corner of the tank, is removed cleanly, and it is then replaced with the patch with the silicon on it.

The reason the patch should have been on the inside of the tank is for the simple reason to stop the water if a leak starts.

Obviously, with the patch on the outside of the crack, the water can go through the crack and out the side of where it exits the glass.

Sorry.

I thought that - never mind, I will be striping it back as soon as I can anyway. The crack hasn't grown any. The sealant I used was aquarium sealant taht I got from living waters, but the instructions said use on dry clean glass. I was in a rush to get something on there so didn't hunt around other shops for underwater stuff, and didnt' want to risk poisoning the fish.

Cheers for all the advice :D