Discus PLEASE HELP

cichlid7

Hi

I have a breeding pair of Discus Once they lay their eggs about 5 hours later they start to eat them. This has happened twice and they are eating the eggs for the 3rd time as i type this. :(:(

Does anyone know why they might eat them or how i can stop this from happening.

Cheers

totally agree with Alan that it is one hell of a job. Reading from a book written by full time breeders is one thing, but to actually do it yourself is another.

cichlid7... you can put a screen over the eggs to stop them eating or keep an eye on the pair to see which one is eating the eggs and remove him/her.

Some of the reason they eat the eggs are the pair are young and inexperience, they are spook, don't feel secured, water conditions are not right.

Try to place the tank in a place with the least traffic and leave them alone. Staring at them all the time will spook them or make them insecure resulting in them eating the eggs.

ron

Hi thanks for that Discusguru

They have stopped eating them now BUT they will more than likely be gone in the morning

Is the rummy nose tetra a good idea or not?? :-?

By the way

what is the ideal sized tank for a pair for breeding?

Would it be a good idea to put polystyrene on the 2 end's and back of the tank aswell as the bottom.

Also would it be a good idea if i had something to put over the front of the tank when there are going to be a few people in the room OR would that stress them alot?

also The Ph i was told 6-6.5 is that right

Water Temp. 29*c

Bare bottom tank

Sponge filter

Light

Heater

Terracotta pot.

Is that right???

Sorry about all the writing

Thank You Very Much :D:D:D:D

Would it be a good idea to put polystyrene on the 2 end's and back of the tank aswell as the bottom.

Also would it be a good idea if i had something to put over the front of the tank when there are going to be a few people in the room OR would that stress them alot?

Cichlid7,I reacon it is a good idea to have polystyrene for ALL around the tank.

It conserves heat to start with, so cutting down on the power bill, and also as you suggest, cuts down on ppl related stress.

If you were to consider the area where the fish breed in the wild, you'll come to the conclusion very quickly that they don't have great glaring lights on them all day and a whole heap of movement around.

Depends on if you are setting this tank up for breeding or for your viewing enjoyment as to how well you cover in your tank and the lighting.

My Uarus have all sides covered when visitors are here, all covered including the top at night,

and only two 2' flouros ,but with a lot of top cover floating indian fern.

I do remember visiting a chinese gentleman who had his tanks (lots of them) in an under-house garage with no lights.

To view them he gave us a torch.

Also the water changes are critical for top offspring with some of the older breeders that I knew in Auck. doing 50% EACH day.

They were dedicated, and admired by Jack Wattley when he came out to see them.

Taking back with him on the return flight, Heckels from Don Handley; he said he considered them the best he had EVER seen, miles to cheap, and in fact to take them back, he left his clothes behind.

You know what I mean so no smart a**** retorts to that