Tiger barbs

maran

Hey all,

i got 8 adult Tiger barbs and 3 "teenage" ones. the teenage one came when i left the adults in the quarintine tank and transferred them to main tank, after few days these little fish appeared. i thought they were platyies initially, so ignored them and they still grew up to good size just eating algae of the tank. Now they hang around with their adult bunch happily in the main tank.

Now I want to breed, and I dont know how to go about breeding tiger barbs. i have done the web search and tried putting a plumbish female and and a male in a seperate tank, but nothing happened.

So this time i want to do it 'properly'. so any suggestions, links or guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

There not that hard so should be a go'er.

It is best to use water that is very soft and clear with a slitely acidic to neutral ph @ around 24 - 26C.

For ease of growing the fry a tank 600x300x300h = 50lt or 2' tank.

In the tank should be a sponge filter and lots of spawning mops, do not feed the adults in the spawning tank.

If placed in the tank in the late afternoon they should spawn the next morning or the following.

Tiger barbs are egg eaters so the water should be as shallow as you feel comfortable with - say 1/2 full ( lots of spawning mops will help hide the eggs ). Because of this you may like to make sure you will be home for the event so you can whip the adults out of the tank as soon as there done.

Good luck