Betta Female - Is she off colour?

mystic_beth

OK

In my quarantine tank..I have a few new fishys. 2 of which are Siamese females and one a stunning purple and red Male.

Both females were showing a lot of colour, but after 3 days the larger and fatter one of the two has gone very bland on the body, and does not seem to eat, flake nor the bloodworm I put right under her nose.

She spends a lot of time sitting on the plants near the surface, I guess getting oxygen.

She looks quite fat, but stiff..and seems to be pooing so she must be getting somthing..but even the plants are new so maybe snails?

Everyone else is happy and glowing and very active, aside from this bland girl. I can see no evidence of of slime or fungus at this point. (and I hope at no point).

Any one more familiar with Betta's have a clue?

Or do I worry for nothing? :-?

Never had the Pleasure of these fishes before...they are very likeable.

Just wondering - look at her closely, can you see her scales starting to stick out or is she getting fatter (swelling). If you could post a photo would be good but if she looks like my description above remove her and isolate her and let us know. She may have dropsy and have already had it when you purchased her but it may not have been showing.

Five days ago, when I brought her home..was more lively then.

BettaBeforefemale.jpg

As of today .. looking washed out..she is pooing (so not constipated one would think. Scales seem fine..did consider dropsy..but I might be missing somthing. Does seem more distended in todays pics. Also seems to be going for air a lot, then burping it up.

Betta5dayslaterfemale.jpg

Betta5dayslaterfemale2.jpg

can you get a pic of her looking down from the top of the tank. She doesn't look happy, she shouldn't have her fins and tail pulled in like they are. The other thing is - how old is she, I don't know over in Aussie but here some of the shops sell fighters that are well over 12 months old and they don't adjust well to shifting.

Well, she doesn't look fat enough for dropsy at the moment, keep an eye on her for the pine cone effect as when fluid builds up inside the pressure will force the scales out. The only fish I have had do this is older females and they do have the same look as yours but after a few days to a week they move on to the great tank in the sky. You never know, she may recover, may just be stress from the move. Sorry I can't be more help to you. Keep us posted as to her progress or you could try asking in the anabantoids section on this forum or under diseases. There are other fighter breeders around on this forum, you could try a pm to Billaney, PeneJane, Aaron Betta or Shiloh, they may be able to help you.

OK

So I have been reading some other sick fish threads and find I have some common factors with others namely the stringy poo. With a sicknening feeling I now realise all my other new fishys in Quarantine tank have been exposed to Hex as a likely cause.

Sick betta removed to a hospital tank, and I will ring vet in morning to see If I can get a prescription. Have changed carbon filters and done a 50% water change in Q/T tank with a good gravel vacumn. Monitoring fish even more closely now.

Have read somewhere that garlic can be used as a treatment with fish that are still eating as a preventative / cure. Anyone know how?

Cheers

Go to the diseases section of this forum and there have been a couple of posts on this in the last couple of weeks. Brishe has been having trouble as well and theres been quite a bit of feedback on it. I don't know anything about this one fortunately.

Heximita is not contagious (as far as ive been told/read). It is a flagellite in the gut and when the fish become stressed/their immune system is weakend it can take hold. I think they irritate the intestinal lining or something as that is what they are pooping out (shedding it). Im about 90% sure that that poop doesnt have anything contagious in it.

Garlic has been used as a treatment but it is a slow one (can take 6 weeks or so), its good to try in the earlier stages but be prepared to use meds if it doesnt start to improve. Fresh crushed gloves (as fresh as you can get) are what you want. Use one of those crusher thingies or chop it down to size and then feed to your fish. Try feeding in the morning as thats generally when they are most hungry

are you sure you are looking at the right one? tapeworm is often contracted via dropping as they contain eggs. i could be wrong, ive just never read anything about it being infectious (keep discus so was investigating to treat them) :)

may have to re-read a couple of articles now :lol: