Female carrying

burgo

Hi,

I have a female cichlid who has all the signs of having bred. She has the dark patch under her mouth and it had dropped etc. I am a newbie to the cichlid breed and being a proud dad I tried to pull her out and place her in a seperate tank to grow out the fry. After many unsuccessful attempts i have now decided it is not worth trying to strip the tank to get her out.

What I would like to know is; Is it alright to leave her in the tank. She doesnt seem to be eating anything at the moment and I am concerned that she will starve.

Cheers

Just leave her she should be fine, but still keep an eye on her if she starts getting beaten up or wasting away (maybe holding more than a month) then you will have to take her out and strip her so she can eat again..

Obviously if you want the babies you will have to take her out to spit or to strip her..

If you do regular water changes, then when you do your next change, strip 1/2 the tank down. Should be able to catch her then. Alot of African Cichlids don't eat or much when holding. That is why alot of people will keep females away from males for 1-2 weeks after she spat the fry, to condition back up.

Frenchy :D