Axolotls have laid eggs again

Milet

one of my axolotlys has laid eggs again. Usually they get eaten up within a few days :-? but this time i rescued them and put them in a seperate tank

Is there anything i can do to ensure their survival and then raise them?

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm currently raising a batch of axiepoles as well. I've put the eggs into a daphnia culture in a good sized poly box and they're growing fast and eating heaps.

My advice is to not worry too much about water changes as they can be sensitive, give them heaps of live food in the form of daphnia and BBS and mozzie larvae and enjoy watching them grow!

Mom and dad were black and white and have lots of interesting colour babies which are white, black and a really cool wild colouration of green with spots.

make sure you seperate out the sizes as they grow, they WILL eat each other if they get the chance. if you have a small batch ice cream containers can work well until they start to get larger. remember it is normal to get small losses- keeping the sizes apart can help, if something goes wrong with one lot not all of them will die.

i would advise small w/cs (depends what size containers, how many animals and what food as to how often youd want to do it), try your best to get it the same temp. a turkey baster may be of some help to you to get their little poopies out :wink:

heres a link to some more info that may be of help- http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

Tried to get a good pic of the eggs, but theres too much weed attached and the lighting is poor by that tank. But looks like they got a few more days before they hatch.

Nowhere near as many eggs as usual though, I was a bit slow getting them out of the ttank before the Big axie got to them.

Also, some of the little dudes in the eggs are looking a bit deformed :-? most of them clearly look like baby axylotls but theres a few that look 'Different'.

Anyone know what caused this?

Also, some of the little dudes in the eggs are looking a bit deformed :-? most of them clearly look like baby axylotls but theres a few that look 'Different'.

Anyone know what caused this?

I also have eggs, the different looking ones will either take longer to develop into axie larvae or may just die if they're too weak, as sharn says. Its entirely normal.

If your same female axolotl happens to lay again within a couple of weeks or a month remove the male/s or her from the tank. Too much egglaying can be stressful. A friends female axie got stressed after several egglayings within 2 months, and is currently quite sick.

Sharn -- you're missed over at Caudata :D

they don't all hatch at once, you will probably find they hatch over 14 days. My first lot hatched Friday, 2nd lot Saturday, some yesterday and today. For the first 2/3 days, they can remain in with the eggs, then you'll have to remove them, so they don't start eating some of the remaining/developing eggs. Do you have any daphnia or baby brineshrimp hatched? Mozzy larvae, and live baby bloodworm go down well!

If you don't already have one, get a turkey baster, they are an axie owners best cleaning/feeding and also axie baby moving tool! Makes it easy to clean out the axie larvae containers as well as sucking out brineshrimp from the hatchery! I have several

great advice from Kapo :) its a good idea to try and keep some sort of live food in there at all times if you can until their legs are growing/grown, fresh water foods (daphnia, mozzie larvae) arent going to die like BBS so that helps with water quality. if you dont have a large supply of live food you could pop some in while you are out and do scheduled feeds while you are at home

kapo- i havent been there in a while, must pop in again sometime and check it all out :)