Snails...?

fievels007

I have some small snails in my tank, they were in some plants that I bought from Organism in Chch.

I assumed from what I read on here that they must have been little ramshorns. I've just seen what loks like another type, more conical in shape rather than flat and a tad bigger, more the size of a little finger nail.

Is it they same type, just more mature, or is it a different type all together?

What is your advice?

If it looks kind of like a rugby ball then its a common pond snail, if it has a long pointy shell that spirals then its likely a Malaysian Trumpet.

Pond Snails and Ramshorns are common and normally found attached to things you buy, malaysian trumpets are common but not quite as common, and I've never got one free on a plant before.

It now seems after further inspection that we have 3 types of snails in our little tank!

We have small ramshorns, malaysian trumpets...very sharp conical pointy shells, and another that is the same length as the malaysian trumpets, but is definatetly rounder in shape. It looks like the small trough snails we used to get as a kid down on the farm, they never got very big at all.

Whats a small fish that will eat snails? I want to do something about them even though I know now the chances of getting rid of them are zilch... wish I'd known about snails before I went to the fish shop and thought they looked like a good free score!

bugger.

Now have-

2 bristlenose

2 siamese algae eaters

1 billion varieties of snail... boo hoo