I have eggs too

Matthew

Excellent Mathew :)

Mine spawned a couple of weeks back.

First foods are important... use a liquid type for egglayers... then newly hatch brine shrimp... then micro worms.

They are hard to see when fist born, but now they are around 5 or 6mm long :)

Don't know if you have aready done it... but mum should go first... then the male once they are free swimming.

1) Did they always blow a bubble nest

2) How long did the eggs take to hatch.

1/ They do for me :)

2/ Within two days.

They'll survive on the egg sac for a day or so... so don't feed them till they are fully free swimming.

You also will need to lower the water level to around 5-6 inches for a few weeks, and keep the tank covered to avoid draughts.

Lower the water through an air line hose to avoid sucking the fry up.. (but you still might get a few)

How long before you could see the fry pegasus?

My gouramis have bred twice and each time they haven't built a bubble nest. I just notice a swarm of fry on the top of the tank. Makes it difficult to see any fry tails hanging when you don't know where to look. I guess I'm a little fearful that what eggs there were have been disposed of. Oh well thanks for the help pegasus. hopefully I will see some progress tomorrow.

Matt

It went a bit like this...

Looked in one of the big tanks in the lounge.. spotted a female full of roe... spotted a male in good colour... put them into a two foot... within hours he starts building a nest.. but she wants no part of it and hides in the corner... nest gets knocked about as he chases her for attention... AHHHH... she finally submits and they cling together in a death roll towards the bottom... during which time the eggs are released and are going in all directions... as they float. This happens a few times, until he finally chases her off and concentrates on the errr.... nest... of sorts, but now he works hard and start to increase the nest size.

I catch the female and remove her... (she was quite young) then not seeing many eggs... I promptly catch 'another' ripe female (a few months older and bigger) and drop her in. Within a half hour he had spawned with her also, (still very exciting to watch.. even after seeing it many times) and by now the nest sits about an inch above the surface and around 6" diameter.

I removed the female again and lowered the water.

Within two days I saw the fry hanging near the surface.

My eyes are TERRIBLE... but I use a strong lens to see them.

Others I have bred had hardly any nest at all.. as the eggs float.. while others have build enormous nests.

I use no water movement of any kind until the fry are free swimming, and have lots of floating plant for them to rest in.

HTH :)