High DKH low PH

Maelgrim

My tank is newly established and found similar issue, I have a marine aquarium encyclopedia that states this is normal for a new tank.

Make sure your other water parameters are correct.... ca, mg, po4 etc

Mine slowly started coming right and ph slowly increased after a month or two.

I thought that the high DKh would mean the PH would resist lowering.

Any thoughts appreciated

Alk resists changes in pH. The actual pH is also a function of the partial pressure of CO2.

Basically if the ambient CO2 level in the room is higher than normal (which can be common), then the pH will be lower for a given alk.

Also the 7.8 you measure, may not be the actual pH.

And don't be too concerned about chasing pH numbers.

A night time reading of 7.8 is fairly common. Shouldn't be that low during the day though.

My own tank was getting that low at night so I took steps to ensure it never went below 8.0. This resulted in noticeably better coral growth.

Main thing make sure you have plenty of aeration, as pH is a function of alkalinity against Co2, so you need the aeration to keep the Co2 in the tank as low as possible.

In a new/cycling tank, the high concentration of dissolved organics in the water column will also make the water acidic.

Don't get too concerned about your water chemistry until after your tank has fully cycled as it will swing all over the place as the different spikes occur and bacterial and algae species bloom and recede. Give it a solid 2 months before you even measure the pH.

well I think I have the problem then. Aeration.

I have removed the sump (to add some baffles), its been out a week meaning no Skimmer or overflow (just so powerheads running).

I will recheck the PH once the sump has been back in operation for a few days.

Thanks