Anemone troubles

JDM

my anemone is not looking fantastic :cry:

it is loosing tentacles, they just float off around the tank. :-? i noticed this for the first time about 2-3 weeks ago, at that point it looked fine, now its not looking so hot and is still shedding tentacles.

it will eat, and it is not bleached.

i can add a photo later tonight, i figure this will help with diagnosis.

so has anyone witnessed this or any ideas on what possibly might be the cause?

Tentacles on my anemone are disappearing. What’s going on?

If all the tentacles on your anemone are shrinking, it is normally a sign of starvation. If

only some of the tentacles are missing, shrinking, or deflated, it is a sign of physical

damage.

Anemones will grow quickly if they are in a healthy environment and have bright lighting

and a secondary food source. However if the lighting is dim and they don’t have a lot of

secondary food, the anemone will start to wither away as it consumes its own body

tissues to stay alive. One of the most striking signs of this condition is when the tentacles

become shorter and shorter – appearing like nubs or bumps on the oral disk. Anemones

can recover from this condition, but only if they are placed in a healthy environment with

good water and proper lighting. Secondary targeted feeding can help, but it is normally a

short term solution if other factors are not in line.

Anemones can be physically damaged (and lose tentacles or have shrunken tentacles) by

many sources. Frequently it can be predation by another fish – either a clown or small

angel or other reef fish. Anemones can also be stung by large LPS colonies like

frogspawn or bubble corals. Finally, anemones can be preyed upon by large worms

(especially if the damage only occurs at night). There are other (less common) predators

as well. The sign of predation is always localized damage on the anemone.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Added any new stock lately?

Have you done any changes?

If not, its your NITRATES :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding

no new stock in ages, i have changed my lamps, the new ones are far brighter, no other changes.

defenatly NITRATES, there the cause of all the losses in my tank (which have been few so far but when they happen its the NITRATES :lol: )

interesting about the secondary feeding thing, i have only fed the anemone maybe 3 times in the last 4 months, i was under the impression i did not need to feed it if i didnt want it to grow, guess ill start feeding it every second day for the next little while and see what responce it has.

i dont think its a preditor, it seems more likely to be the feeding.

cheers B and KP