WC with plants

quack

i have a 250l bearbottom tank that im using to grow out my discus. i have many plants in the tank in pots. i also have co2 and heaps of lighting.

the plants pearl all day long.

the thing is that when i check for nitrates the test always reads at 0ppm. does this mean that i dont need to do water changes, or is there other toxins in the tank that needs to be removed.

also should i start doesing nitrate?

any help appresitated :hail:

Growing plants and growing out discus in the same tank is a bit of a catch 22 as one needs nutrient and the other needs water changes to strip nutrient. I bought some Cryptocoryne plants on trademe that had been grown in pots of clean gravel in a discus tank with 50% water changes dailey and the newest 3-4 leaves were white from lack of nutrient. They grew well when transplanted to a planted tank.

If the nutrients get high it will stimulate algae growth. Plants growing well help to strip some nutrient but not all. If you have a heavily planted tank with only a few fish that are lightly fed you don't need as many water changes. When trying to grow out fish you feed them heavily and this produces a lot of waste and the catch 22.

ok so in my situation how often should i WC? my nitrates are always at 0ppm and they get well feed?

the plants seems to be growing really well and all the leaves are green, there is one plant tho (some type or sword) that grows nice big red leaves and then they turn green after awhile is this a difecincy?

should i just do WC once a week or more often, the discus come first the plants just there to remove the toxins.

If you're not feeding your discus numerous times a day and doing waterchanges, don't expect the discus to grow much.

If your main aim is to grow the discus, my advice is to feed your fish as many time as possible (little bit at a time) and waterchange at least every second day. The plant serve no purpose in a grow out tank for discus.

Ron

yeah im feed as much as possible throughout the day, the plants are only there to help lower the nitrate which they are doing really well!

if my nitrate is 0 does that mean i can get away with less water changes(every week) or is there other toxins that the plants dont use that will slow the discus growth?

i wouldnt drop the w/c's just because there is no nitrate reading. discus like clean water and plants arent going to be absorbing everything. their poop is still on the bottom rotting away (ew lol) and that is still going to be polluting the water

the way i see it is you only have one shot at growing those specific discus out and they are animals, plants can be replaced.

my amazon sword is only in my tank for a bit of naturalness and security. the tank has 48W of lighting (for veiwing) and the one potted plant. it still puts out leaves regularly but it certanly isnt growing like it was in my planted tank