Lighting - Arcadia

The Great White Hand

Hi,

I have an AR980 to which I'm adding a Cf1200 filter (bought it waiting to fit), extensively planted I think (variety of swords, crypts, cambomba, anubias, java ferns on driftwood, java moss, dwarf saggitaria, pigmy chain sword, saurarus, straight and twisted vals, glassos, and some others) and moderately populated (Blue Ram pair, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 3 Corys (Peppered, Bandit and Sterbai), 1 Brstlenose, 1 Otto (waiting on another 2 or 3 and an SAE), 26 neons and 20 harlequins.

I know the lights need replacing, so today I picked up 1 Arcadia 900mm, 30W, 7,500K CRI 1A ("Brighter Natural Light" is the name) today, is this a good choice?. I need to replace the other 30w 900mm and the 25 watter which is blue/purple. I would welcome your suggestions! I'm not ready for CO2 yet (I've been keeping fish for two months, first month 2-footer now the AR980) Warren mentioned "For fluro's, about the closest you'll get is colour 96 from Philips or Sylvania TLD96 series lamps" who has these in CHCH? Approx how much $? The Arcadia tube was $58.

On another issue, people talk about the these wet/dry filters (ala AR980) slowing down over time as they mature, is there any truth in this? The powerheads don't allow you to adjust the flow do they?

Regards, TGWH

On another issue, people talk about the these wet/dry filters (ala AR980) slowing down over time as they mature, is there any truth in this? The powerheads don't allow you to adjust the flow do they?

Yup when they get a bit glugged up they will slow down, just like most filters if not all

You're going to have some serious problems replacing the 25W bulb at a electrical shop. I ended up ordering a $20 10000k Boyu one in through a local pet shop as it seemed to be the only way to get them - aside from ordering them in from overseas and waiting 8 weeks. I found them later on at Animates, but carrying a price tag of over $25 and I believe they were Arcadia, with a nice range of spectrums available.

As for the other bulb - Philips TL-D 30W/865 - commonly available at electrical wholesalers with a price from $8-12 each.

AR980 filter. It'll slow down with age, but not enough to be quiet. You can let the filter intake get clogged and that slows it down to a trickle, but the powerhead will start buzzing if it's too blocked up.

Hope all that helps rather than confuses!