Hermit Crab Q's

PENEJANE

I have for the past week kept 3 hermit crabs in my salt tank. They are doing a wonderful job of keeping the bottom of the tank and rocks clean of excess brown stuff. But today I noticed that I have what I am hoping to be the sheaded skin of a hermit crab.

Do they shead their outer skin like shrimps do? I still have 3 hermits in the tank and one has removed its shell and gone to another one. I would like to think that its normal but I am unsure which is why I ask.

On a lighter note here is one of the anemones that I have had for over a week now and still doing fine. Feeding by hand (long tweezers) big fat white worms. Collected from the rock pools of Colac Bay.

anemone1.jpg

It looks like a pretty daisy flower in the tank with its bright orange centre and white skirt.

Cheers.

yes, hermits shed there shell like shrimps (all crustaceans).

I used to have a big deep water hermit, when i keep local marines, and he would shed his shell once every 2 months. He was the size of an adult hand when i finally put him back in the sea.

I keep putting bigger and bigger shells in for him, so they would weigh him down and stop him from charging all over the tank.

so its a good sign then if they are shedding their outter skins? Or is that a sign that something is wrong?

Feelers that anemone I have never seen before apart from the one place that I went to. Bluff seems to only have the dull green ones. This one has a very nice green stalk with brown stripes, white tips and a very orange mouth. If I knew that they would survive it I could go and get a couple and send some up but I don't know how they will do but then again they can't do to badly as it was from the rock pools which allow them to tolerate low temps :D

Cheers.

If I knew that they would survive it I could go and get a couple and send some up but I don't know how they will do but then again they can't do to badly as it was from the rock pools which allow them to tolerate low temps :D

Cheers.

Pretty sure they would be fine, I kept similar in a warm water tank no issues.