Kribs in a community tank?

fishtv

I've got a pair of Kribs guarding fry at the moment in my community tank, 200L with hatchets, harlequins, platties, cories, and others. The cory's get a bit of a hard time as they seem to think they're invincible and the kribs nip their fins up a bit, but everyone else manages to find plenty of room. This pair managed to raise about 15 babies to about 2-3cm long before I gave them away, so you can get lots of kribs from a pair in a community tank if they're lucky :)

C.

Do Kribs prefer living in pairs? Would they be ok in a community tank with lace gourami, bettas, rosy tetras, clown loachs and BN's?

I saw some for sale the other week and they really caught my eye, but i don't really know anything about them

Hiya.

I have had two pair of kribs, and have one pair with fry at the moment. They live happily with cardinal and rummy-nose tetras and harlequins, but the 2 gouramis (dwarf and moonlight) and betta all had to go, as they got too close and aggressive when the kribs tried to create breeding space.

Even the rummynose tetras are a little too curious/daring for my liking, but the krib parents are really awesome at chasing them away. :lol:

Kribs are great little cichlids and I really recommend them for beginners (like me!)

Do Kribs prefer living in pairs? Would they be ok in a community tank with lace gourami, bettas, rosy tetras, clown loachs and BN's?

I saw some for sale the other week and they really caught my eye, but i don't really know anything about them

I either have, or have had kribs with all of those fish except gouramis and they have been sweet. I reckon you'l be sweet man

Hmmm, thanks evil (you're my agony aunt this week it seems).

My gourami have started coming down to play in the big logs, but most of the time they're up top - where to kribs have their nest? If it's down near the bottom then they won't get bothered by the gourami, and i can't see the bettas caring enough to take more than a glance.....

.. but maybe the clowns would hang around wanting a look in - they like to explore all the nooks etc...

Have set up photobucket and put the link on my signature, so everyone can see the tank layout.

Maybe i should get a couple of kribs and see? Should i get a pair and cross my fingers, or is it better to have more and let them work it out?

I really need to do some research..... :oops:

They like digging under rocks or use caves for breeding and they are fine with all the fish I have had in with them however they are very territorial when breeding and will chase even the largest of fish from where the fry are grazing. They are a must for any community tank imo. (size of other fish permitting).

Awesome, i think i'll have a look around then.

Whew! Just found out their adult size - should make a nice addition to the tank, but i'll definitely only get a pair. Or maybe a pair of angels instead? Though i think i remember being told they're meant to be nippy with fins, so probably not good with the gourami and male betta.

Will take a while to find a nice young adult pair of kribs, so will have to have a ponder..... :roll: