New tank

Gatito

Well, it's happened. I am now the proud owner of a 240-250 litre Jebo R790. Needs new light tubes, but that's ok (squirms and wriggles in delight).

It has one of those exterior filter thingies that sit inside the lid, which we managed to work out :D . And i just thought i'd share the love :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: and welcome :hail::hail::hail: any advice, as this is my first tank over 50 litres.

Also, what would be the best buy for planting material? Do i use a sand from the LFS, or some kind fine gravel under the usual stuff?

Going into the tank are 5 clown loaches, 4 rosy tetras, 9 lace gourami (someone gave me a few extra than ordered), a few bettas, a red spot pleco, and 6 BN's (ditto with the few extra). Is this going to be too much? Or...... (gasp) can i get any more?

Lots of luv and happyhappy happy!!!

Jo

awesome! congrats :bounce:

if i was you i wouldnt do the red spot unless you are willing to rehome him later down the track, they get too big and theyre pretty messy. they also like to flatten most plants they come into contact with :lol:

you could probably get away with a school of tetras or extra rosies if you wish.

:D Thanks Sharn, yeah i ended up getting more rosies to make a school of 10, and they're much happier!!

I didn't get Jungle (my red spot) until i was prepared to grow with him, and accomodate an (eventually) big pleco. He hasn't grown very quickly so far, but that's probably going to change now he has more space to play :D Once he gets MASSIVE i may think about rehoming, but i think i'd probably get a MASSIVE tank first.

For now i'm just enjoying the big tank, and watching them enjoy the space :bounce:

Hey gatito

Just got your pm, just messaged you back. You just wait, the jebo gets too small after a while, you'll be hankering after a new tank long enuf :D

Btw, the hang off the back filter gets stuffed up after a while, so i use a canister filter as well, a bit more reliable. I put it thru the two opennings and it works will for me. Also, the light tubes aren't that bright, so I added another 30 watt arcadia powerglo bulb, and my plants have really taken off. good luck with it!

Hey, thanks for that, and for the pics - it's always good to hear from someone with the same tank so i know what to be aware of and watch out for. Will look into another filter soon and i think i will need a more powerful light too.

Oooh, one more question - i got my tank second-hand, so i'm not sure, but is there meant to be a lid/barrier between the lights and the water surface? Mine doesn't, so i'm going to get a sheet of thin perspex cut to fit asap, as the lights are getting a bit damp, and that's bound to result quickly in a buggered fuse. The previous owner didn't mention a lid, but it looks like maybe one used to fit there (a half-circle shaped one, or two quarter-circles?)

:-?

So the canister filter... that can sit in the cabinet and do it's thing can't it? I haven't used a cannister before, so been looking on TM auctions for descriptions of how they work....

I'm looking at an Aqua One CF1000 (they say it does up to 250 litres), and hopefully the instructions (which are hopefully all i'll need) will be on the box? :D

If i get the CF1200 (up to 300 litres), will it do a better job? Or should i just get the CF1000?

So the canister filter... that can sit in the cabinet and do it's thing can't it? I haven't used a cannister before, so been looking on TM auctions for descriptions of how they work....

I'm looking at an Aqua One CF1000 (they say it does up to 250 litres), and hopefully the instructions (which are hopefully all i'll need) will be on the box? :D

If i get the CF1200 (up to 300 litres), will it do a better job? Or should i just get the CF1000?

I have a Sunsun 200L "with the filter in the hood thingy". I added a CF1000 & it made the water so clear that the fish look like they are floating in mid air. I also use the hood filter as well. Canister is in the cupboard below, better there as the small noise is kept mostly in the cabinet. with the bail of filter wool on top i cannot hear it outside the cabinet.

hey yeap it comes with a 2 pieces of glass made to fit, i broke one of them in the first month i got mine, so not surprised. yeah i fit in tubes and have an eheim 2213 running. Its well worth it. The HOB filter is great for putting in things like phoszorb or carbon if ya wanna, but it really slows down to a trickle after 3 months, but my tank is heavily populated. Im glad i had the canister otherwise my tank wouldn't have been well filtrated, and my fish would've started paking in. Just something to watch out for.

You can stuff a CO2 diffuser down the back as well, and your plants will be happy as clams.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gatito

I've just put a CF1200 into an AR980 tank with a wet/dry lid filter. I snuck the hockey sticks, bent pipes through the gap in the back of the wet/dry filter housing that you run the powerhead electrical cord through. Does the the Jebo have the same gap? Tight fit, but it does fit on the AR980.

Good luck! I think the combination of the wet/dry and canister is a great idea!

Regards, TGWH

There is a gap along the back between the hinges of the lid, but this gap closes when the lid opens - the "hockey sticks" would stop me opening the lid.

At the back of the tank where the current filter is, there is a 3cm approx diameter hole for air tubing to pass through and down the back, then there's the filter, then a square hole about 4cm squared that i put the heater through.

I don't think there is room for both the intake and output tubes to pass through...

Sounds like some good old fashioned DIY is in order.

Admittedly I'd do my best to not modify a tank like that because I can't even begin to imagine what you must have paid for it :o So if removing the internal filter (which only does 300/hr anywho) will help you install the CF1000, then do that, otherwise it might be time to get the drill I'm affraid :-? Widen the existing holes so they fit.

Also keep in mind that the 'hockey sticks' can be cut and joined/modified with the rubber hose provided to suit your needs.

Sounds like some good old fashioned DIY is in order.

Admittedly I'd do my best to not modify a tank like that because I can't even begin to imagine what you must have paid for it :o So if removing the internal filter (which only does 300/hr anywho) will help you install the CF1000, then do that, otherwise it might be time to get the drill I'm affraid :-? Widen the existing holes so they fit.

Also keep in mind that the 'hockey sticks' can be cut and joined/modified with the rubber hose provided to suit your needs.

I paid $350 for it, with the awesome driftwood (see pics in photobucket) and a bunch of bits and bobs 8)

I suppose taking out the overhang filter is best if i want to avoid chopping up the hood :lol: The CF-10000 should do well enough on it's own, and it means i won't have 2 input tubes hanging down and looking unsightly (just an intake and an output :roll: )

Will have round two tonight and let you know how it goes :-? :D

At least the filter itself is set up, taps, hose etc - just gotta get it installed in the tank....

Hi Gatito

Someone suggested to me that you pull the wet/dry filter powerhead out and use the canister filter to power the wet/dry trickle filter. So you still only have one filter intake and get most of the benefit of two filters.

Regards TGWH

That's an interesting idea - the canister won't be too "fast" for the hood filter will it? Sounds appealing, can always give it a go.

Why is it called a wet/dry filter?

wet/dry filters basically drip water over the material, as apposed to submersing them completely like a cannister. The extra aeration makes for better bacterial growth. I think feeding one of these systems 3 times the original current, would likely end up with the media being fully submersed and overflowing. Not sure, haven't seen the design on yours, only Jebo tank I have is the R338, which oddly is only 38L and has a 400L/HR wet/dry :o

Hi Gatito

Spidersweb makes a good point about the comparative flows of the two filters.

The AR980 (215ltr) for example which is a slightly smaller than your Jebo (250ltr) has a powerhead that delivers 2000ltr/per/hr (from the Aqua One manual), I'm assuming your Jebo to be at least that. Once you put media in and they start to clog-up and that flow is reduced, same things applies to a CF1000 (1000ltr/per/hr) you might need to play around with media abit to acheive the right flow. I know its been done successfully with an AR980.

I think its still preferable if you can run both systems together, they say "you can't have too much filtration". The gaps (3cm and 4cm) you talked about earlier seem like they should allow you to fit the 1-1.5cm tubing through? Not?

Regards, TGWH

Thanks, i'll give it a try and see how i go. The wet/dry filter intake points down towards the water, so will have to bring the tubing through the back and around to loop up and connect, but otherwise should work.

Have to wait til my boy gets home - the cap on the top of the filter is too hard for me to open, but once he opens it for me :roll: i'll let you know how it went.

Well, tried to put the two filters together and no luck - just no space in the back for the pipes to come through and loop around to join on while the wet/dry is there.

Took out the wet/dry and installed the CF-1000 according to instruction. Not working - have filled the canister with tank water but it's not getting into gear.... what have i done?

Small leak from valve on outlet tap, hopefully not cracked.

Gah!!! :x

lol cannister filter first timer eh :P

You need to prime it, this is how I do it:

Disconnect and turn off outlet hose

Disconnect inlet hose

Turn ON inlet hose

Suck quickly on hose, creating a syphon, spill the water in to a bucket or something then turn the tap off.

Connect inlet hose to filter

Turn Inlet tap on

Turn Inlet tap off when water dribbles out the outlet

Connect outlet hose and turn on

Turn Inlet Tap ON

Plug filter in and do a dance as it pumps water :)

That will prime anything with an impeller, but if you're scared of spilling water, another technique I use, is when the filter is making its gurgling noise, is to tip it over on a strong angle, so the impeller gets wet enough to pump. The inlet hose MUST be full of water, and the filter must be full also.

Sounds like a pain in the ass, but its only a 20 second procedure once you get it, and the good news is you shouldn't have to clean it for months 8)

lol i remember the first time i tried to get my canister working. i filled the inlet hose with a h2go bottle! i didnt think of sucking on it at the time.

And remember for the future that if you turn the inlet tap off first the water stays in there and you dont have to do it again