DIY co2 difuser

evilknieval69

This may have been asked here before but i just thought this up after looking at the tunze co2 diffusers, and thinking 'how can i make my own one and not spend $$ on one of them' :)

So i came up with this...

Co2difuserSmall.jpg

pretty self explanatory, but the powerhead pushes water down the tube, and the co2 bubbles into the tube and mixes with the water. I am going to go make a prototype now, so will put some pics up once i have had a fiddle around....

Hmmm well that didnt take long :) I was going to do a full prototype with an old, small syphon tube i thought i had, but remembered that i had used it to make a filter.... So all i had was my big syphon tube which i didnt want to alter as i use it every now and again :wink: So i didnt drill a hole in it for the co2 tube, but i did the rest. The tube is a bit big thought, the total setup being the total height of my 50cm high tank :-?

Heres a pic, Just a little 300 odd LPH powerhead.

Co2diffuserprototypeSmall.jpg

Yes that would certainly do a good job, possibly 100%.

However for $25 you can get an Elite 200L/hr filter, its tiny and you hook the CO2 line to the venturi on the out line, and get similar results out of the box except instead of blowing CO2 down, it blows it across the tank directly at the plants. It would get saturated tho if you tried putting more than 2 bubbles a second through it. I'll go take a photo of it so I can show you.

Great thing with these setups is you can just put the filter on a timer with the lights, so you dont overdose the tank on CO2 with the lights out.

Looks awesome, but also looks kind of bulky.

This is what I use:

CO2.jpg

Put it next to a 100mL bottle of Flourish for a size comparison. I paid $25 for it new from our LFS. Its 200L/hr and has a thing so you can turn it down if you want. It can be discretely placed behind a small rock, and blows the CO2 across the tank,

I'd say diffusion was around 95% if not better as only a few very micro bubbles make it to the top. When used in conjunction with a 2.25 DIY yeast mix and my 5 T8 lights it makes Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Java Moss, and some other plant I have whom name I dont remember pearl. Never made the sag grass pearl though :(

Running two 2.25L DIY yeast mixes with this I overdosed the CO2 and the fish were gasping, had to remove one of the mixtures, so it certainly works well for the price.

Only bad things about the Elite filter is that the suction cups SUCK, I just lean a rock on mine which also hides it from view. Also using this method you get bubbles blown across your tank (about 20cm out), I like that but if you dont then its not a good choice. I use this type of setup on two tanks now and it works great.

Yer the prototype i made is real bulky, so i doubt id use it, but it was fun :D That filter looks good, but for $25, i could just put the tube going under a powerhead in my tank realy couldnt i? :lol:

lol thats true

I didn't have a powerhead lying around, and at the LFS powerheads were like $40.

Looks awesome, but also looks kind of bulky.

This is what I use:

Put it next to a 100mL bottle of Flourish for a size comparison. I paid $25 for it new from our LFS. Its 200L/hr and has a thing so you can turn it down if you want. It can be discretely placed behind a small rock, and blows the CO2 across the tank,

I'd say diffusion was around 95% if not better as only a few very micro bubbles make it to the top. When used in conjunction with a 2.25 DIY yeast mix and my 5 T8 lights it makes Java Fern, Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, Java Moss, and some other plant I have whom name I dont remember pearl. Never made the sag grass pearl though

Running two 2.25L DIY yeast mixes with this I overdosed the CO2 and the fish were gasping, had to remove one of the mixtures, so it certainly works well for the price.

Only bad things about the Elite filter is that the suction cups SUCK, I just lean a rock on mine which also hides it from view. Also using this method you get bubbles blown across your tank (about 20cm out), I like that but if you dont then its not a good choice. I use this type of setup on two tanks now and it works great.

I have done that too!!!! I thought I was the only one :lol: :lol:

hey guys, if you wana make a diy diffuser, then i would think about making one of these:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... plans.html

they just go on the output of a canister, with this way you dont need extra pumps making more current losing co2, and you dont have bulky equipment in the tank. just have the output going to this then more pipe going from this to the tank

• 1 year later...
hows Co2 differ from airpump? both put bubbles into the water :D prolly a stupid question but i never can get it rite..

CO2 diffusers split carbon dioxide (CO2) in to tiny bubbles which allow the CO2 to be absorbed by the water.

'Airpumps' blow air (nitrogen + oxygen etc) in to the water to make bubbles, which create circulation and help the water absorb more O2 (normally a bi-product of the circulation).

The air stones used to break the air in to bubbles makes large bubbles because their purpose is to increase circulation. CO2 diffusers make much smaller bubbles because they dont want to make any unnessecary current and to give the CO2 more of a chance to get absorbed (more bubbles=more total surface area).

More circulation = more oxygen, less carbon dioxide

Less circulation + CO2 diffuser = less oxygen, more carbon dioxide.

Using an airstone to induce CO2 is a wee bit sad because each bubble that makes it to the surface is completely wasted, which is 99% of it :(

oh.. so for a planted tank a co2 is pretty much necessary? i was at the shop today and they had a planted tank and obviously a co2 in it but like 0 water flow.. how does fish survive in tehre than with not enough oxygen.. youd have to change the water very often to refreshen it and boost it with oxygen?...

CO2 definately isn't necessary, I prefer to use Flourish Excel as an alternative, and even then that isn't needed.

Fish breathe in O2 and breathe out CO2, so there is always CO2 around, its just that increasing it certainly helps the plants out a lot :)

Trick is with fish, is there just needs to be a certain amount of oxygen, its not an on or off, how much is needed varies. But basically you want the least amount of water movement possible, without the fish struggling (e.g. hanging near the surface). Its a tricky balance, hence why I just wuss out and use Flourish Excel on its own with general fish plant ferts.