Driftwood at Jansens (Silverdale)

penguinleo

I am currently setting up a new planted tank. At the moment it is pretty bare. Nothing but substrate heating, fertiliser and gravel. I was looking for some great pieces of driftwood to put in my tank on the weekends and I spotted some at Jansens in Silverdale. I was in a rush that day and so I couldn't get a good look at the wood there. But it looked pretty dry, like a beige colour. I heard that some wood that people sell float and may take months to sink down because water has to be taken in. Therefore pretty useless for an aquarium.

So my question is:

Has anyone bought any driftwood at Jansens in Silverdale before? And does it sink and is it suitable for aquariums?

Hi, I have bought a huge piece from them before, this was heavy due to its size but still required some sinking before going into tanks. I feel their prices are reasonable but the problem with them floating is common, but this is normally the case with most pieces. When I bought that piece they also had some already submerged heavy pieces for sale, whether or not they still do I don't know :-?

doesnt matter where you get your driftwood, all driftwood might float and it might take months for it to sink

i have a piece that is 4 and a half foot long, 1 and a half foot high, it pretty heavy due to the size and its been 3 months and it still doesnt sink :-? . i also have some small pieces which sank straight away and some that sinks after a couple of weeks

its all luck i say

Jansens silverdale always has quite a good range of wood its really just luck as to whether it will sink or not. generally if a piece is really heavy for its size it will sink or sink faster than lighter pieces, some lighter pieces take months and months. The only true way of getting wood that will definately sink is to buy the heavy (and pricey) bogwood or to buy the presoaked wood. If you are intending for it to be for plecos to chew on, the lighter softer stuff is better as they can eat it easier. This is just what i have found anyway, hope it is of some help :wink:

Shane

Thanks everyone for your help. :D I think I will buy a large piece of driftwood at Jansens. I will try and get the most heaviest piece that is suitable for my tank. There is a lot of driftood at Hollywood fish farm but it is so expensive!! :-? About $60 for a 50cm piece I think. Not that big. But it always sinks. The reason it is so expensive is because it the wood they sell is imported from Malaysia.

Hi again,

Everyone has basically answered your questions :D I think it was around $25-$30, and would be about 1 metre (I think), I just chucked it in a storage container upright and it couldn't all fit, so after about a fortnight I turned it over :o A bathtub would have been more suitable. I think they are quite cheap for their price :wink: