AquaC EV-240

JDM

i got a great deal on a second hand AquaC EV-240 skimmer, second hand but in great order.

i thought it was a big skimmer when i picked it up, but it wasnt untill i brought it inside and put it beside my sump that i realised just how big it is. MASSIVE compared to the deltec ts1250.

so i have just givin it a clean up and set it up in my sump, it produces excellent bubble size and it is totally white in the main chamber. at this point i am very suprised at how well this seem to work (remember its only been going 5 min and i havent tuned it properly yet) but the amount of bubbles in the chamber is outstanding, compare that with the deltec and i would describe the chamber color on the deltec as greyish whith and the aqua c as ice white.

here are a couple of pics i just took, at this stage its been running about 3 min.

IMG_0466.jpg

you can see the deltec in the fore ground, and the new aqua c towering above it.

IMG_0467.jpg

skimming already, after 3 min!!! very wet i would imangine but a good sign.

IMG_0468.jpg

:bounce:

nearly a week down the track, i am having trouble tuning it to skim dark, it is skimming very well, but only as dark as tea, this dosnt worry me too much as its a good small water change each day, it pulls out quite alot, at first it was 6 ltrs in 11 hours! but now its more like 2 ltrs in 24 hrs, i have the cup feeding into a 10ltr waste drum so no problem with catching the skim.

also, my deltec has basicly stopped skimming, prioir to the aquaC in 48 hours it was fulling the collection cup with about 35-40mm, i had been monitering this for well over a month, now in 48hrs it is pulling 5mm with no noticable color change, this is with no adjustment to the deltec. the smell in the deltec has changed, it is noticably stronger smelling, so together i think these skimmers complement each other, but i will need to get the aquaC skimming dark before i am totally happy with it.

dose anyone on here use an aquaC skimmer? where to you set the air valve? (if it is an air valve???) on the top of the chamber there is a grey tap the seems to adjust the amount of air interduced?

They do skim wet, it is just a thing about the way they introduce the air.

I once had an aqua c although a different model to yours, because it could be quite sensitive I had it connected to an overflow, and had a float switch in the overflow that would turn the skimmer off if it got too full. Rarely was needed but did happen occasionally. Hard to get anything better than tea colour from it, nothing wrong with that though long as you're geared up to maintain the tank salinity in some way.

Your model does have an air adjustment so probably the bit you are talking about. Unlikely you will tune it to produce a consistent thick dark skimmate though, that's just not an aqua c.

Interesting comment about your 2 skimmers complimenting each other, as they work in different ways this might be the case. Sounds like you have all the bases covered in terms of getting everything out of the water.

What is the turnover rate for your sump water ( how many times an hour )?