arcadia 3 series 150w upgrade

cookie extreme

well got my bulbs yesterday, god it was long 3 weeks waiting for them.

the installation which required cutting new openings into the reflectors, changing the ballasts and bulb holders took a bit longer then i thought. all up with cleaning etc a cool 4 hours (hey i didn't want to stuff it up :wink: )

will post the whole process in the next couple of days as it is late and it may take a while.

lets see if it does make a difference. but it does look a lot brighter but then again my 150w bulbs are a year old.

good news cookie.

Question.

Is there any difference between "arcadia " and blue lights.

if so, how can you tell the difference between the two when purchasing?

PS.

Frags are great. 8)

just thought i would check if your getting confuised between "arcadia" the brand and "actinic" the light spectrium?

so, they are all fairly much the same? and if there is a difference, is it probably not really worth worring about?

MJ

Not much difference, after a while you won't be able to tell.

Atinics have more of a purple tinge compared to the blue that is blue.

Atinic will make some corals "glow" more, very little difference in my book.

ok the upgrade -

it involc=ved more time then i guessed. :roll:

i bought the ballasts and bulb holders from lamps exclusively, mt wellington in eaglehurst road. they quoted me the best price. ($54 for a ballast and $20 per holder) compared to ideal electrical ie. $84 and $38 respectively. all prices before GST of course as Helen wants to live too! :D

so 3 ballast's and 6 holders (2 per bulb) i was $ 310 poorer. i ordered my bulbs from the US (AB 10000 250watt DE) and waited.

well bulbs arrived and i started. removed screws and the whole unit virtually fell apart. :oops:

bulbs were to big so had to cut openings into the reflector to fit holders, changed ballasts and tried to put the whole thing bach together. what a pain in the b$^&$. griddle cover did not fit as ballasts are to tall so had to cut them out as well. luckly the ignitors are ok from 100w to 400w so no change needed. hook it all up again and plugged it in and it worked. :D

light looks nice and bright.

all up it took me about 4 hours, ok maybe a bit more to change to whole setup. it was pretty nerve wrecking cutting the first relector (if i stuff this one up i am screwed) but it became easier after that.

btw i fixed the new holders for the bulbs in the griddle cover plate, the holes are perfect for it.

anybody who ones more info please on it please pm meand i will give you my number and/or address.

• 3 weeks later...

most corals liked the change, i burnt 3 different types of acro's (well almost on purpase. just to see if my light output really increased alot. i raised them by about 20 cm from normal hight. to be honest i could not see much of a difference in lumination. most corals showed a drastic improvement within 2 weeks, ie colour and growth. the ones i burnt were a stylopora, green purple acro and alittle stag. my anemone which i had for quite a while and happly sitting in the same spot moved as well (straight into the powerhead and got minced which my hydnophora really liked)