Red-tailed shark being picked on

Lady-Lene

Hi - tank is stocked now and all was going well until I added a couple of zebra danios. They are stroppy as!!! Picking unmercifully on most of the fish but in particular the red-tailed shark. His fin is starting to look a little ragged on the ends. Funny how he was the one I was most worried would pick on something else but I appear to have got a very timid one. Is that just because he is young? Is is this normal behaviour for Danios - I thought they were quite peaceful fish. Is it likely that that will settle in eventually or should I take the danios back? I'm reluctant to take back the red-tailed as he is gorgeous!!! :D

Hi Caryl - No - probably maxed out now? 100 ltr tank and have:

1 red-tailed shark

8 cardinal tetras

3 black widows

2 panda corys

2 golden spotted corys

1 bumblebee goby

3 harlequin rasboras (was going to add another 3)

2 problematic zebra danios

Makes a total of 22 fish and although I have good filtering I think thats about maximum. I've added them little by little and had no fatalities or disease which is good.

I've decided to take back the danios tomorrow. I'd rather have another couple of harlequins.

I've also decided to get a bigger tank next year when they get a little bigger. Yep - I've got the bug :D

from what is in your tank at present as I saw the list; you could quite safely put in 4/5 more Danios.

Oh dear ... wish I had read this earlier. I alaready took back the danios my LFS !!! Oh well .... everyone seems much happier. Bumblebee Goby and Red-tailed shark have come out of hiding. Corys seem much happier too (they are the funniest wee things - night time comes and they go spastic, flitting up and down the tank playing chase - quite the characters). I'm sorry to lose the zebra danios as they liked the top of the tank and all spaces were occupied. Oh well - can't have it all.

Thanks for your help :bow: