My new marine tank

Fishkeepa

Heya Im a newbie to this section and have purchased a small setup via Trademe.

It was a three foot tank with sump, rock, skimmer, and a magenta dottyback

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 175065.htm

Im going to pick up this weekend. Is there anything i should know when i try to move the set up. I'm gonna get something to hold water and try to save as much of it as possible. I think i will bag the fish and float it in one of my other tanks to keep the temperature stable.

Also the owner says clean the skimmer weekly and change a bucket of water a month and bottled water top up. Is this realistic or just an exageration to make it sound simple.

Hope to see and hear from you all.

Kiran :bounce:

Im sooo excited

If possible you should try and keep all the water, unless you have salt ready to make up new water you willbe stuck, the weather has been far to bad to collect natural sea water.

The rock doesn't need to be underwater when you move it, just so long as it stays damp.

You might want to give the sand a good clean while you have the chance but have a good look at the sand before you pull the tank down, (or talk to the owner) if there is stuff living in it (i.e. it is live) then either take a few cup fulls out then clean the rest or just leave it all. If you do leave it make sure you dont stir it up when you move the tank, there will be lots of nasty stuff under the top layer.

Treat the fish just like you would moving a fresh water fish.

I have plenty of buckets to hold that much water, which you could have borrowed but sorry am away this weekend in Akl.

Good to have another salty in Wlg, I'm sure we will catch up sooner or later.

They have divided the tank up amonst themselves. They each patrol a 2 foot square of teritory.

I have two females, and one male. The male sits in the middle, and alternates between the females in breeding.

God knows how they get close enough to each other to breed though. They are always keeping the others out of their territory.