New aquascaping

skippy

That's what people say when they don't have real proof to support their opinion. :wink:

My tank is proof enough for me.

Like I say to my 7 year old, if you continue to be the one that has to win all the time, and always has to be the one thats right and make everyone follow what you want, you'll run out of friends soon.

At least she listens. :D

Nah mate, not being hard on myself - don't believe in it. There's plenty of others out there in the big bad world that are all too keen to criticise and give you the bash over what you believe without you teeing off on yourself :D:D

The results is what the results is. Yeah the nitrate may be a bit high bit at least they are consistent. I reckon that is the key. If parameters bounce around all over the shop the inhabitants cant adjust and stress, etc. At least if it is high but stable they get a chance to adjust and are reasonably happy. Obviously there will be the exceptions

My tank is proof enough for me.

My thoughts exactly. :bow::hail:

No matter how much you spend, how much you learn (or think you learn) and how amazing your tank may be - there will always be someone out there that spent more, learnt more and amazes more people. Be happy with what you have and set realistic objectives for improving it.

:lol:

Nice one Skippy, there is something fascinating about a softy tank, especially when they got humungous leathers like yours!

What is your lighting?

I found a pic from a few years ago of part of my tank when it was a softy tank, here it is. Moved on since then & added sps to the mix, but sometimes regret that, more money, time, worry, etc.

I still think some of the absolute best tanks I've seen, from an aesthetic point of view, are softy tanks.

37526s2.jpg

I'm happy to say also that I still have every coral from that pic, or at least their descendants :D .

Wasp wrote:

What is your lighting?

Have recently (end of July) upgraded to an Arcadia 3 Series pendant fitting which I got second hand from Puttputt. It has 3 x 250W MH, Arcadia 14000K DE Fc2, bulbs with 2 x 58W marine blue T5's. I also run 2 x 40W fluoros (1 blue actinic and 1 marine glo) that were part of my original lighting so a total of 946W. Use that blue actinic as "pseudo moonlighting" when everything else has turned off.

I recently changed 1 of the MH bulbs as they are past their best by date for a different brand that didn't cost $185.00 :o like the Arcadia MH bulb but it lasted a total of 17 days before it blew up :evil: However the nice folks at HFF have offered to replace it for nought. :hail::bow::hail: Can't afford to replace them all at the same time :o

I like the pics of your old softie tank - i think I might be an old softie at heart :oops: :oops: (sorry couldn't help myself). I have thought about getting some sps but have to admit I quite like the look and movement of the leathers and other softies. I reckon Puttputt might want me to change my mind when he gets up here though. We'll see.

Will take a few more pics of the tank tomorrow when it is fully extended as it looks awesome now that it has settled down a bit from the big change. Very pleased with it.

Skippy my nitrates are 15 and phoshates 0.02 don't have any algae problems and my colours are sweet :D

I didn't think I could grow sps with all my softies and anemones but thanks to puttputt and now cracker my tank is full full full :bounce:

the sps colours are very good but the growth isn't as fast as puttputt and cracker but thats ok with me as long as the colour is good I can wait :D

I must look at them about 10 times a day to see how they are growing :lol:

Aaarghhhh

The pressure is on. Easy to spot all the committed sps fans out there :D

OK, we will start with 1 Puttputt.

BTW, where do you all get them from? All traded or donated frags? I don't think I have ever seen them for sale in the lfs (or maybe I just had my wavey stuff, softie blinkers on :D ) Seems like Puttputt and Cracker are the biggest culprits in spreading around the sps love :D

I know where there is a bait and tackle shop for sale in Kerikeri near the Library :D Trouble is you'd have to buy it before you converted it to a florist :o You can give me all the existing stock in the shop if you want to get rid of it :D

Will keep an ear out for anything for lease. Are you interested in buying a shop or just leasing?

Oh, got your PM too