Sump Design

Rockerpeller

You dont need to use either for it to fuction as a refugium. But if your wanting to get nutirant export this way macroalgae is the way to go. Mangroves just grow to slowly and cause to many problems with light requirements etc.

However there are a lots of problems using algae for nutirant export, not least of which is it getting out of control in your refugium and also getting into your display.

You need to decide what you are trying to do, in pure terms a refugium is for growing pods etc away from where the fish can get at them, in which case all you need is some cover for them, maybe a little bit of sand and/or live rock. If your actually trying to control nutirants there are other (better) ways, a decent skimmer, DSB, Zeovit, etc

i'm pretty strapped when it comes to cash so i'm looking at cheap ways of gettin around filtration methods. i have lined up a protein skimmer but i'm looking at the benefits of having a planted refugium as well. from all the stories i've read about them, they seem really good to have.

but either way i might just stick with the liverock and sand you suggested.

The cheapest option is a deep sand bed (DSB) all you have to buy is the coral sand and dump it in, but have a bit of a read up before you do it, there are a few thing you need to know and it needs to be setup right, i.e. has to be deep enough, about the right size sand etc.

You will still need a protein skimmer, there isn't really anyway around this unless you have no fish :lol: or want to do very large regular water changes.

i've already read into a deep sand bed. that is a definite addition to the upcoming tank. the protein skimmer is another definite, as is a MH light and a flouro.

i guess all the help i need with now is how i set up the sump. is it better having the compartments in this order:

From Tank/Skimmer - Refugium - Return

or would you advise another way that i could do with the 3 footer?

I think a DSB in the refugium sounds like what you are after. The effectivness of algae and mangroves has been measured, mangroves are pretty much useless and algae can only live in "dirty" tanks. If you can grow algae, you have too many nutrients, and obviously just removing the algae wont get you below this level.

I'm not sure but I think some people here still use algae?

Agreed, if you have a DSB put it in the refugium rather than the main tank.

DSB's work great for a time, but depending on bioload, can eventually get "full" & contaminate the tank. Should that ever happen, it will be a lot easier to deal with in the fuge than in the tank.

Nonetheless some people have had great success with DSB's, they have some good advantages, and some of the best ever tanks I have seen pics of have them.