Setting up a saltwater tank-Tank build thread sorta

evilknieval69

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks hideous ATM cos of all the brown hairy algae all over the rocks and the brown slimy algae all over the glass

Doesn't look hideous at all, that is pretty normal in a tank about your stage, specially if it has not been getting skimmed.

Must say that is a strange looking pump set up on your skimmer I've never seen anything like it! What is the skimmer called?

It will make the bubbles go over the top better

u need to take off the cup & clean it properly to make the skimmer work better, a bottle brush is ideal

ohk sweet

The airline was just for taking the water out that was getting in there when it was settling in bro, i know that i have to take it right out to clean the skimmate out.....

I pulled the rock out scraped it off rinsed it sprayed with lemon juice Not one in my tank but you need to jump on it early this is your only chance .Once you get stocked youll be screwed Im super paranoid every new piece is watched for weeks i turn it round after a few days just incase theres one you cant see.

evil evil things the devil grrrrr :evil:

I took the rock out and gave the aiptasia a bit of a cut and then covered them in vinegar and it has seemed to work.

I have just tested the tanks nitrites and they are undetectable!! (aquarium pharmacuticals)

So what is the next thing i do. i think i should probably do a 30% ish water change, then get some snails for the tank....

Where do i get snails?? anybody on here have way too many and can send me some?? :D

So now the snails are sorted (i know what i need) i need to start thinking of what i am going to stock....

Im not 100% sure on whether i will be able to keep these corals but i will write a list of what i want and you can tell me if it is possible....

I would like...

Mushrooms

Zoanthids

Leather Coral(s)

Brain Coral(s)

Hammer Coral(s)

Thats what i can think of ATM but what i want to know is:

1. Would i be able to keep those corals in this tank

AND

2. What other corals could i keep in this tank??

I am also wanting to have 2 perc clowns and a cleaner shrimp eventualy which im pretty sure will all be sweet, but what do you think about a firefish aswell???

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

???????? any opinions??

I dont realy have the skimmer running very well.... I just cant get it to stay constant. I have it going perfect one day, then over night, the cup fills up and eventualy overflows.... So then i fluff around with the skimmer even more, and get it going pretty good again, then it happens again....

I am contemplating moving all of the rock, plus half of the water, over to a spare 30L tank i have, and ditching the skimmer, and having, IMO, a 'real' nano, just HOB filter for carbon, phos remover etc. Powerhead for water movement, and a heater.

Lots of live rock and lots of water changes (30-40% a week) will keep the water 'healthy'

Opinions.....?

Ah? Lol sorta got it, fair points...

Im thinking of going with the smaller, not so technical tank for the moment.

Something sorta like this, just a small nano tank, with not all the complicated equiptment....

Click her for pic

(Im dreaming again)

I just dont realy understand all the complicated stuff yet, like the works of a skimmer. I understand that the skimmer i have is not the best, which probably does not help the situation.

I will wait for some more peoples views on this before i go changing things over, but im pretty keen to go with the true nano :lol:

How high up the cone do you have the water level? I never had any over flow problems and only emptied the cup once a week. Lower the water level in the cone and let it settle in, any waste should stay on the surface of the skimmer foam and may take some time to reach the collection cup. Are you useing any additives that could cause the skimmer to go nuts?

If your not happy I'll gladly buy it back at the same price coz it was doin a mint job on my rock cureing tank :D Keep in mind its a 30 buck skimmer not a 900 odd buck skimmer